PDA

View Full Version : Change management engineer

raednoor
2013-09-03, 05:44 AM
What do you think about this job "Change Management Engineer" at an operator? What should I expect? What is the role and responsibilities? How can I build a good experience in this job?

raednoor
2013-09-03, 07:42 PM
Any ideas regarding this inquiry?

alainko
2013-09-04, 11:03 AM
Only 3 world...Very vague title... never heard about this job title after 20 years of wireless industry... you don't have more informations ?

TelcoConsultant
2013-09-04, 03:19 PM
Hello,
Change Management is the department who is responsible to organize the schedule and ensure to avoid any down time in any system. There usually a CAB (change advisory board) and lets say each and every week this CAB analyze and schedule the changes. So, in a controlled enviroment, one can not decide and implement a change by himself, any change must go CAB.

In an operator: lets say the HVAC department decided to change the power lines to a BTS whereas same night the vendor decided to upgrade the SW in same BTS. Without a proper change management, vendor starts the upgrade and in the middle of the upgrade the power is shut for 10 min and the BTS is a crap now. Well, this is hardly possible, but just can give you an idea... ;)

CM is quite important where manages services is distributed across different vendors. Honestly speaking never heard aboout the title CM Engineer but the department and business line is quite legit.

For the Change Management, you can check ITSM, they have a ITIL library and a certification which can give you a broader understanding and also certification is not that hard.

raednoor
2013-09-05, 04:06 AM
thanks for your reply....

This will be more related to management than technical, I am right? I mean there will be no development on technical issues?

Where should I expect myself after 2-5 years in this position?

TelcoConsultant
2013-09-05, 06:23 AM
thanks for your reply....

This will be more related to management than technical, I am right? I mean there will be no development on technical issues?

Where should I expect myself after 2-5 years in this position?

Well, Change Management is rather managment than technical, you are right but you need to understand technical affects of any change and foresee the any clashes of the changes upon network. And the title: engineer may be sign of more technical requirements. You need to confirm this with employee. But I can say this is more IT than Telco.

Your future is totally up to yourself and the enviroment, in some countries (i.e. Middle East) where Managed Services are common Change Management will be important but what I see in Europe is operators are keeping things inhouse and not much market.

If you develop yourself in ITIL and PM, you can become part of CAB and evolve to Project Management.

Try to check HR listings and analyze the requirements for similar positions, this will give you a better insight...

raednoor
2013-09-06, 05:12 AM
Can you explain "more IT than Telco"?

In which specific fields of IT?

RodrigoCarvalho
2013-10-05, 03:51 AM
This engineer should be responsible to analyse the current load in each Network Element and identify possible overloaded equipments.