PDA

View Full Version : Have to HOLD traffic in 3G, 2G over utilized while 3G under utilized (Urgent)

Muhammad Imran Rafique
2013-06-01, 12:41 AM
Hi Experts, our NW have 2G/3G/LTE FDD/TDD but voice traffic is exploding with all congestion impact on 2G part. 3G with 3 carriers is under utilized and we are in urgent need to hold max voice traffic in WCDMA. Currently 2G is holding 85% while just 15% voice traffic distribution on 3G. Aggressive parameter settings are possible but need surety that traffic will be shifted to 3G. From available options we are going for below set of changes. please share any other option which will firmly hold traffic in 3G. I will share the impact after all discussion and changes.

usedFreqThresh2dEcno

-14 to -15

usedFreqThresh2dRscp

-105 to -109

BR//Imran

m121
2013-06-01, 04:12 PM
Hi,
first of all, what is your 3G phone penetration? They are 20, 50, 70% of phones in your network?
Regarding how to push traffic to 3G first look at idle parameters, what is your QFDDMIN, also what are your setting for 3G to 2G? Only Ec/No or also RSCP (with HCS)? Also what is your Max Carrier power (20, 40, 60W?) and what is your CPICH power? Check what is your EcNo in the cell when HSDPA uses whole power and compare it to reselection/handover settings. Also does max EcNo looks "normal" or cell settings could result in situation when single HSDPA user could increase EcNo to -16dB, for example.

Muhammad Imran Rafique
2013-06-01, 11:16 PM
Hi, 3G Phone penetration is not exactly known but I can see 27 million IRAT HO attempts daily. I believe this is quite encouraging we can reduce these attempts which will directly increase traffic in 3G. 2G to 3G cell reselection parameter is already set to FDDQMIN (-12) and for level there is no limit. CPICH Power is set to 330 while max carrier power is 40Watt. Please do share any impact report if anyone have under this topic. BR//Imran

m121
2013-06-02, 12:14 AM
I do not know how much power can be taken by HSDPA in your network, but it looks that you should consider increasing CPICH or FDDQMIN, because 40w=46dBm, CPICH=33dBm and EcNo in cell with HSDPA traffic could easily go to -13dB, maybe you have parameter settings that prevent that, but you should also consider interference from neighbour cells otherwise your UEs sometimes would be stuck in 2G longer than they should. So try increasing CPICH or reducing FDDQMIN for pilot cluster
27 million Handovers are VS how many calls originated in 3G? If it's 1:1 then you have HO setting problem, if it is 1 HO per 10 Calls then it more looks like problem with reselection parameters(I don't know your overall 3G coverage so numbers are just as an examples).
BTW. You or at least your superiors should know 3G penetration figures, because if you have only 20% penetration you can not drastically increase 3G Traffic. If that is the case and 2G capacity is becoming a problem your operator must also work on how to increase penetration.
Anyway, most 3G to 2G IRAT HOs are due to what reason?