PDA

View Full Version : GSM will be dead soon.

cuixiaobin
2013-05-07, 11:02 PM
GSM will be dead soon.:confused:

T_ADD
2013-05-08, 06:40 AM
Don't think so. :cool:

ninoy_122184
2013-05-08, 10:16 AM
i disagree..:confused::confused:

venetinto
2013-05-08, 11:13 AM
will take several years, and depends on "where" will be dead. USA and Europe maybe because people can afford expensive UEs, but in latin america, africa, asia will take long time.

TelcoConsultant
2013-05-08, 11:29 AM
Well, lets think about it...

Data consumption is always ahead of the capacity. More smartphones, apps, videos and other contents are being introduced to the markets. All the efforts are to make more data slots available. That is why we invented UTRAN and LTE, that is why we are after A-LTE and beyond. We allways be looking for more data, this is another chapter.

GSM; it enables voice calls and it works. Already deployed, we know how to plan & optimize it. No more Capex in general. And again, it works for voice.

GSM will be dead for sure. Everything dies, every human being and every human made thing. Civilizations, technologies. But will GSM die soon? I quite doubt it. I heard some operators announced to terminate their GSM services but their number will be quite limited. We will need the voice and unless we get to the level where all the voice calls become a OTT entity, GSM will be there. It is simple, slightly old but it simply works.

Just my two cents...

bino
2013-05-08, 04:12 PM
I'm agree with you.

http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/20120806/carriers/att-looks-shutter-2g-gsmedge-network-2017/
http://www.adssecurity.com/support/ATT-2G-sunset.aspx

babak1349
2013-05-08, 04:41 PM
Hi,
how soon ? tomorrow ?
Forum friends gave nice comments. I don't think GSM dies too quickly because:
1) Financial costs
2) Technical and capacity costs

Operators have made billions of dollars investment so till they don't suck up customers' pockets empty, they won't get ride of GSM
Technically still GSM is good and provide enough capacity for voice. 3G supposed to replace GSM but from capacity point of view 3G can't reach to its theoretical goals (soft capacity limitation) How about LTE? bet you the same story as 3G.

It took more than 30 years that DAMPS get out of market as far as I know and GSM still has 10 years left we compare it with DAMPs

Cheers

rm77
2013-05-08, 04:55 PM

I don't agree, it depend also of the development in each country.

prodigy
2013-05-09, 01:34 AM
GSM reminds me the oil, since 1970 we have reserves for only 20 years more... and still going!

babak1349
2013-05-09, 01:49 AM
Hi Prodigy,
Hope you are doing well. I am wondering how old you are that you remember 1970's stories ?
Very nice Default password But I think now you should change it to "Pope Is Argentinian"

No offense , couldn't resist to make some jokes

Anyway I think cuixiaobin (http://www.finetopix.com/member.php?7644-cuixiaobin) is making fun of us by making such kind of statement I think this thread will go on and on

Cheers

GSM reminds me the oil, since 1970 we have reserves for only 20 years more... and still going!

TelcoConsultant
2013-05-09, 02:46 AM
As I said,
I am on "Long live GSM" side but whoever thinks GSM will be dead has a point: GSM occupies a bloody bunch of frequency which is quite appetizing for the operators suffering. They are considering to kill GSM and leave the heritage to LTE and beyond.

We will wait and see, there is no a sharp answer for this. Specifically I personally have no say on this; when I first met Keyhole in 2002 I found it quite luxury, geek and unnecessary. 2 years later Google acquired Keyhole and make it Google Earth, now it is very vital for me. (Same for Facebook, I never think it will be a general network when it went public from a college network but now they are nearly the heart of internet):P

So do not count on my forecast. :D Lets talk 5 years later...

Piojo
2013-05-09, 03:12 AM
Maybe it has more sense ask "how soon GSM will die?"

regards,

indiaco
2013-05-11, 07:03 AM
Not too soon.
About 2 years ago I was working in a major operator in South America as 3g RF, and it got my attention that the capex to expand the GSM network for that region was greater than the 3G expansion capex asigned for the same period /region.
And that was only a couple of years ago, I think we still have a long time before we see GSM dead.
Reason, It is still pretty good bussiness for operators whithin countries where people can't afford expensive mobiles.
N.

firstmaxim
2013-05-13, 01:07 AM
GSM will of course meet its death, inspite of gprs/edge support since it is more expensive in terms of cost compared to 3G and 4G.

Many operators have already commenced cannibalizing GSM frequencies in the 1800 MHz band to provide for LTE which supports a bandwidth of 20 MHz.

indoor
2013-05-13, 07:09 PM
Given that the cost of a GSM handsets is much cheaper than 3G or LTE and that the batteries last much longer I think GSM will be around for quite a while longer. 5 years at least, most likely even longer
As per Mark Twain's quote "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

firstmaxim
2013-05-13, 11:19 PM
You are right, but i am suggesting the trend. In 5 years time there would be much less GSM across the globe. Between now and 2016, we expect 5 Billion smart phones, and this is going to change user behavior in a big manner.

prodigy
2013-05-14, 02:27 AM
Ha, no problem ;), not very easy to change passwords...
And regarding '70s... I didn't even existed on the '70s :D, but that's what people said.

Br

Hi Prodigy,
Hope you are doing well. I am wondering how old you are that you remember 1970's stories ?
Very nice Default password But I think now you should change it to "Pope Is Argentinian"

No offense , couldn't resist to make some jokes

Anyway I think cuixiaobin (http://www.finetopix.com/member.php?7644-cuixiaobin) is making fun of us by making such kind of statement I think this thread will go on and on

Cheers

glxglx
2013-05-16, 07:35 PM
GSM will not die,because there are so much subscribers use voice call, LTE fallback to 3G 2G for voice call
LTE just for Pocket domain

Sabbir Ali
2013-05-21, 03:36 PM
Sorry, I don't think so. still long way to go...

KaiMun
2013-05-22, 04:25 PM
Maybe it has more sense ask "how soon GSM will die?"

regards,

I was thinking of that question too.. ;)

Ben0723
2013-05-23, 12:09 AM
I think it takes at least 3 years from trough to death.

firstmaxim
2013-05-23, 02:34 AM
GSM will be on a lease of life till LTE gets its acts together on providing CS voice. The IMS implementation by operators across the world is woefully sluggish. Once IMS kicks in, there will be RCS offerings. GSM voice would be a poor comparison ..we are talking of QoE. Also,consider Biomedical compatible issues...the new generation of phones use a lower power compared to GSM : 21/23 dBm in comparison to GSM's 33 dBm.

LTE will appear as islands in a sea of GSM/3G and these island will get bigger and bigger.

dane_2k2
2013-06-15, 10:07 PM
I agree.... but it will take long before they will shutdown especially in under develop countries

scorpion
2013-06-17, 03:41 AM
GSM is on the string road towards a revival...3G Got a lease of life due to CSFB, But once CSFB comes to 2G then thats it for 3G.
So GSM will survive more than 3G...., Atleast it will take 3~5 years to kill 3G.

madeira
2013-06-18, 09:33 AM
I agree with you Scorpion .
The IMS probably been slow to be implemented so the GSM will be used more than 3G.

nghiepjason
2013-06-18, 12:26 PM
In developing country, I think it take a long time to die.

val2032
2013-06-18, 06:31 PM
I want to know if today someone implements/develops GSM from nothing.
I don't know if the GSM will be swich off in the next years... maybe it depends of DD2...

jkhattak
2013-07-11, 06:00 PM
it mainly depends on the territory meaning where you live but with data technologies evolving and getting cheaper and people tendency towards them might give hard time to GSM, if you can see with the presence of applications like skype and viber, i beleive now people using them more then normal GSM calls,
just a thought

mim2007
2013-07-17, 10:30 PM
GSM will not dead atleast for more 10 years.

chamanbagga
2013-07-17, 11:44 PM
GSM may not expand in cities, but in outskirts, it does a much better job. It will stay around in many areas were only voice is required. No one wants to discard 2G equipment for this reason.

Shakeel_15
2013-07-18, 12:32 AM
Hello,

I dont think so GSM will dead soon. Still in the international market it has the highest share among all available technologies. Still companies revenues are mainly coming from CS GSM not data services as they are mainly to attract subscribers in terms of different promotions. It has also been forecast it will remain number one in upcoming years.

BR

gaz_0001
2013-07-18, 10:11 PM
GSM will still be deployed in 10 years.

tharinduwije
2013-07-22, 12:14 AM
Agreed! for Voice I think GSM will Rule for awhile.My opinion is most Probably 3G will get isolated & LTE will take on behalf of HSPA

Reillh
2013-07-26, 01:13 AM
when will it be off

Optimustron
2013-07-28, 05:31 AM
You are very smart and clever, you only dropped the atomic bomb, isn't it?, Did you know that many fish would bite the bait?,
Well you caught me!, Well I truly believe that the death of GSM depends on the strategies of the market as:
Lower prices of new mobile products, say products because this includes phones, modems and cards mainly OEM in my country there are many users of GPRS, and growing up, because the units are cheaper than UMTS/HSPA+ cards because you don't need high throughput too.
Strategies for the use of the spectrum.
Marketing strategies of carriers.
But on the other hand it's needed a cultural change of people and this only occurs in a change of generations., still exist a population of adults over 40 years old who prefer to speak by phone insted of send messages even less they don't be using FACEBOOK, perhaps sending e-mails from a computer but not from phone.
Well my dad is 75 and just talking on the phone, I have 50 and sometimes I send sms, I prefer to send something written but using computer, not from phone. Maybe I'll die before GSM system ha!, No seriously, I think this is going to happen but in 15 years we are going to go to the funeral and to give honors to GSM, by the way I need to make a call, best regards, Maybe

sysvolt
2013-08-04, 11:41 AM
Agree with tharinduwije (http://www.finetopix.com/member.php?41163-tharinduwije). GSM will "live on" for voice, for sure.

patek1968
2013-08-07, 04:16 PM
GSM will still be the priority for voice since capacity wise and cost wise its more efficient..3G will likely die then LTE will takeover..just my 2 cents..

bubi6466
2013-08-07, 06:53 PM
GSM Has still a bright future for at least 10 years. There are many countries in which is still deplyed.

plannerguy
2013-08-11, 03:46 PM
Hi

may Be down the line by 20 Years the GSM may move out .....but untill it will have to survive to meet the requirements.

IP based telephony has reacehad the 10% population. reamining 90% still on the old CS circuits.

Rgds
Plannerguy

jjhuang
2013-08-23, 03:48 PM
GSM will still live in next 10 years, but UMTS 2100 may died in next 5 year~~

iceland
2013-08-26, 01:43 AM
The simple, easy, robust, old & popular technology, does not go so soon.......... Faster and newer goes sooner..........

alainko
2013-08-30, 11:46 AM
For sure it will take times, but will happen probably between 5 to 10 years depending of countries... Europe have very good and very dense networks in 900Mhz bands so it s not easy to replace it with 3G or 4G (mainly due to lack of coverage).
Other part of the world like Canada for example will shut down the GSM/PCS earlier because they invest much more on 3G and 4G so it will be easier to swap for 2G to 3G.

smartyouth92
2013-08-31, 07:33 PM
hi hellow it's my first replay >>>>>>GSM until now it used in asia so much so i think it's until now it's living and not dying

RodrigoCarvalho
2013-10-05, 12:19 AM
Maybe it will be.
In brazil, the carriers stopped to invest on it.

RodrigoCarvalho
2013-10-05, 12:22 AM
Actually in Brazil there is no investments on the 3G as well.

After the carriers start with the LTE deployment, all the other technologies were forgoten