PDA

View Full Version : New career! Excitement and questions

rubens
2013-03-15, 06:28 AM
Hi to everybody in this forum,

I currently took a job as a graduate consultant in one of Europe's largest consulting companies(many of you may know it).
My role involves of gsm/umts/lte planning as well as optimization(spectrum refarming , better KPI).

Right now, I am just learning the tools that I will use and boy they are a bit tricky.:D
From a theoretical point of view I am doing quite ok as my undergraduate studies and postgraduate studies where on the field of
telecomms.

I am so excited and a bit puzzled as I am worrying about the steps that I am gonna take.
I would like you to advise me and give me some of your knowledge as to what I should do next regarding training courses or anything that you find important.

Thanks for reading and cheers!
Very happy to find this forum!

Regards,
Rubens

babak1349
2013-03-15, 08:20 AM
Hey,
Which company ? Aircom or Lcc ?
All consulting companies suck. They are there to make money and they don't know shits They are all dependent on consultants. It is better to work as an individual consultant. You will have more freedom to choose although it is a bit tough to find contract
Dude , do you think those guys are smarter than you ? The first lesson is to know nobody knows everything So you need to keep reading and learning by yourself
About tools , none of those tools can do what human does, interpreting the data. Tools can help you just to accelerate the process. Aircom Asset tool is just good enough to do painting and show it off.

If I may advise you, I would say, the key is to read and understand . Knowledge is money and as soon as you had the knowledge and self-confidence get out of that company

Good luck

bino
2013-03-15, 03:29 PM
Hi to everybody in this forum,

I currently took a job as a graduate consultant in one of Europe's largest consulting companies(many of you may know it).
My role involves of gsm/umts/lte planning as well as optimization(spectrum refarming , better KPI).

Right now, I am just learning the tools that I will use and boy they are a bit tricky.:D
From a theoretical point of view I am doing quite ok as my undergraduate studies and postgraduate studies where on the field of
telecomms.

I am so excited and a bit puzzled as I am worrying about the steps that I am gonna take.
I would like you to advise me and give me some of your knowledge as to what I should do next regarding training courses or anything that you find important.

Thanks for reading and cheers!
Very happy to find this forum!

Regards,
Rubens

Congratulation. Don't worry, you should learn to senior colleague and study by yourself.
I wish you success.

BR.

rubens
2013-03-16, 04:40 AM
@babak, I understand your point but the thing is that if you don't have experience you can't do anything and my first goal is to gain experience.
If you have never been involved in a project, I think is quite difficult if not impossible to get a contract.

@bino, thanks my friend.Can you recommend any good material in order to study hard and gain knowledge(books,tutorials, etc).

Also, a question to everybody. How much time does it take on average to gain the necessary experience and move forward/work by yourself?
If anyone has anyother suggestions please feel free to respond.

Thanks to the forum members that have responded,

Rubens

RFoptimizer
2013-03-16, 04:59 AM
Step by step, don't make mistake to want to understand all thing as soon as possible, it is better to understand one thing clearly and then pass to others.
Good luck

babak1349
2013-03-16, 04:59 AM
Rubens,
I worked for 3 big consulting companies What I said is coming from experiences I didn't mean to discourage you I tried to share my experiences.
The key is to read and learn and to not be worried about those tricky guys. Most of them show off but they don;t know shit
I understand it is your first job and trying to get experiences It is all up to you I think it is better to focus on optimization because you can learn more about technologies and after ward you can learn about planning A good optimizer could be a better planner,
You can search on this forum and you can find a a lot of documents which explain the technologies like as GSM, UMTS and LTE

Anyway goo luck and best wishes

indiaco
2013-03-16, 05:41 AM
Hi buddy, welcome to the real world & don't worry it is not that much of pain...

If you are starting with planning, you probably have a lot of theory to review, but please share which vendor are you going to be working with, cause that way some of us may be able to recommend a particular trainning (for instance NSN -> all systras would be great, 3GRPESS, 3GRPLS, etc / Huawei RNO Parameters Optimization, RNO RF Optimization/ and the list goes on.)
One thing you must do is installing the vendors library soft ( NED for NSN, ALEX E/// or HEDEX for HUA are the ones I know about...) and then get someone to share libraries with you....
Anyway, I you provide some more details about your job we may be able to share some relevant trainnings or info.

B.R.
N.