PDA

View Full Version : MAIO

Stealth
2009-03-06, 06:22 AM
Is there anyone can explain what MAIO is?
Or could you please guys share any tutorial regarding this term?
regards

NILCTG
2009-03-06, 06:38 AM
Search the forum. collect some docs if u dont have(such as E*******s Alex). Or some Books on GSM. You can even google the Q.;)

Stealth
2009-03-06, 06:49 AM
Search the forum. collect some docs if u dont have(such as E*******s Alex). Or some Books on GSM. You can even google the Q.;)

Anyone can say the same thing. :eek:
Not a good suggestion.

ghassen
2009-03-06, 06:54 AM
regards

Mobile Allocation Index Offset :
it is used for frequency hoping algorithm here i will explain something :
frequency hopping is used to change automatically the frequency. when a user get a channel it means that he will get a timeslot+frequency
then to reduce the interference and to average the error we use the frequency hopping

here there is some terms

HSN is the frequency hopping sequence number !!!???
HSN is the algorithm used for frequency hopping and you got from 0 - 63 algorithms
the frequency hopping sequence number are :
0 - no hopping it means that the user will use only one frequency
1 - cyclique hoppping it means that the user will hopp from frequency 0-1-2-3-0-1-2-3 and so
2 .... 63 are pseudo random frequency hopping algorithm

the MAIO is used to initialize the hopping algorithm it mean from which frequency the algorithm must start

collecting these informations then you have hopping system id HSID

and be careful you have to specify the frequencies that are declared in the bsc before using this frequency hopping system id because if you are using a frequency that you didn't include in the cell frequency list before, the system will refuse the config of the HSID

NILCTG
2009-03-06, 06:57 AM
Actually my friend, any RF engineer should know the basics and that can be done from trainings, docs, books & experience. knowing what HSN/MAIO etc is part of basic. and if someone is not willing to devote some time/do homework to know this, i am not sure how members of the forum can help him.

NILCTG
2009-03-06, 06:58 AM
gh is very kind.

Stealth
2009-03-06, 07:10 AM
Actually my friend, any RF engineer should know the basics and that can be done from trainings, docs, books & experience. knowing what HSN/MAIO etc is part of basic. and if someone is not willing to devote some time/do homework to know this, i am not sure how members of the forum can help him.

That is the use of a forum, which is to share knowledges, especially to anyone who is still learning.
If you don't want to share your knowledges, you don't have to post useless messages.
Anyway, thanks for the advice.

kvf
2009-03-06, 07:14 AM
MAIO- Mobile Allocation Index Offset is a frequency offset
set for all Basic Physical Channels (BPCs). Manual MAIO
planning prevents adjacent channel interference within a cell
as well as co- and adjacent channel interference in co-sited cells when using frequency hopping.
See attached files for description.

NILCTG
2009-03-06, 07:16 AM
u dont get it. u r asking for TCPU6, what maio is etc, when answer is already there, posted in the forum! u just dont see it!! and request people to... Thanks anyway

hassen
2009-03-06, 07:19 AM
regards
for you

http://edi2004.web.ugm.ac.id/telecomm/gsm

and for your information each vendor has his own algarithm because maio is a feature
and with this parameter we can ovoid co channel when we implement SFH.
for more details see the link

ghassen
2009-03-06, 07:40 AM
That is the use of a forum, which is to share knowledges, especially to anyone who is still learning.
If you don't want to share your knowledges, you don't have to post useless messages.
Anyway, thanks for the advice.

you are right stealth and also i must add that we must help newbies as we got a help at our begining from the others

bikplaboi
2009-03-06, 08:50 AM
Hi Stealth,

I'll upload some information on MAIO & HSN shortly...

Cheers,

Anyone can say the same thing. :eek:
Not a good suggestion.

Stealth
2009-03-06, 11:42 PM
Hi Stealth,

Cheers,

I''ll be waiting for it.
Regards

alkelani
2009-03-15, 03:30 PM
does any have acase study and aproject on Maio,hsn

venom
2009-03-15, 08:10 PM
does any have acase study and aproject on Maio,hsn

Dear bruv, i wish i can help you in understanding what is MAIO actually.. the help people have provided is really enough for you but i'll try to explain it here in a simplest language ...

MAIO ... Mobile Allocation Index Offset.
Which means it is nothing but a number which tells you the offset (a starting point). Before going in to more detail of MAIO lets continue with the understanding of MA List.

MA List : Mobile Allocation List.
It is the list which you can use in Hopping (baseband and synthesized). The basic function of MAIO is in synthesized Hopping, not in baseband because in baseband we assign a fixed frequency in MA List per TRX. So i m starting with an example here, which will continue with the further reading as well :)

Lets take few examples of MA list defined for synthesized Hopping, 1x1 MA list means all the sectors are having same MA List, 1x3 MA List is more efficient but utilization of band is more in it, so all the sectors are having a unique MA List, see below:

1x1 MA List

Cell A: 80,81,82,83,84,85,86
Cell B: 80,81,82,83,84,85,86
Cell C: 80,81,82,83,84,85,86

1x3 MA List (See Difference)

Cell A: 602,605,608,611,614,617,620
Cell B: 603,606,609,612,615,618,621
Cell C: 604,607,610,613,616,619,622

MAIO: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 (Read further down first)

Now When you defined these MA list with synthesized hopping, your job is to hop in these frequencies. Your call is initiated with the BCCH and suddenly hops in to other TRXs which are having this MAL list.

MAIO is the number which will tell you from where to start (offset) the hopping. For example if i assign the MAIO = 0 to 1x1 list of Cell A then my TRX will start to hop from 80, If i assign the MAIO = 2 to 1x1 list of Cell B then my TRX will start to hop from 82, Similarly if i assign the MAIO = 0 to Cell A of 1x3 MA list then my hopping list will start from 602, and if i assign MAIO = 1 to Cell B of 1x3 MA List then my hoppin will start from 606. See in the Above Example. If you have understood this, then it means your half understanding of MAIO is complete :)

Now one question, hopping doesn't stop, it always continues. If it continues then after starting with the first frequency, where it goes? The answer to this question is defined in HSN. HSN means Hopping Sequence Number and the value of HSN is defined from 0 to 63. Every Value of HSN indicates a unique Sequence of Hopping. For example HSN=1 indicates the cyclic sequence. This sequence is applied again on MA List. Lets take the earlier example now, Suppose we have assigned the HSN=1 to the above MA list with the same MAIOs then following cases will apply:

MAIO = 0 in Cell A, MA 1x1, HSN=1

In Cell A, Your hopping will start from 80 and it continues hopping to 81,82,83,84,85,86,80,81,82,....
In Cell B, you need to make sure that your MAIO is not 0 because you have already assigned it in Cell A so suppose you have given the MAIO=2 in Cell B then your hopping will start from 82 and continues to 83,84,85,86,80,81,82.... (Cyclic HSN)

Note: HSN is defined on the cell level, so you can also assign different HSN to different cells of same site but it is not good planning as it will make ur planning complex and difficult.

MAIO = 0 in Cell A, MA 1x3, HSN = 1

In Cell A, Your Hopping will start from 602 and it continues hopping to 605,608,611,614,617,620,602,605... (Cyclic HSN)
In Cell B, If your MAIO is 0 then you will have adjacency because your hopping will start from 603 and 602 is already used in Cell A. So the tricky part is that you STEP your MAIO to 1, which means if you have given MAIO=0 to CELL A then STEP 1 will make it MAIO = 1 to CELL B. Now Stepping is only a theoratical word used here, dont get confused because in database you just have to enter the value of MAIO. Just make it simple that you have assigned MAIO = 1 in Cell A so that your hopping will start from 606 and continues 609,612,615,618,621,603,606... ( Cyclic HSN).

Note: If you enter different value of HSN then it will represent different sequence, so for neighbouring sites we define different HSNs so there are less collissions :)

Now we can go more complex in to it if you have more TRXs. Your Reading to other documents can help you a lot more but it is very easy to understand. The basic idea is the one which i have explained here, if you have any questions then you are most welcome to ask me here, have fun !

Stealth
2009-03-17, 02:45 AM
Hi Stealth,

Cheers,

Hi bikplaiboi...
I'm still waiting for the information that you promised to share.
Regards :time:

zeuscane
2009-03-17, 03:38 AM
There are here interesting documents on the theme
http://www.scribd.com/search?cx=007890693382555206581%3A7fgc6et2hmk&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&c=all&q=Mobile+Allocation+Index+Offset&sa=Search#1360
Regards

ghassen
2009-03-17, 04:21 AM
Dear bruv, i wish i can help you in understanding what is MAIO actually.. the help people have provided is really enough for you but i'll try to explain it here in a simplest language ...

Which means it is nothing but a number which tells you the offset (a starting point). Before going in to more detail of MAIO lets continue with the understanding of MA List.

It is the list which you can use in Hopping (baseband and synthesized). The basic function of MAIO is in synthesized Hopping, not in baseband because in baseband we assign a fixed frequency in MA List per TRX. So i m starting with an example here, which will continue with the further reading as well :)

Lets take few examples of MA list defined for synthesized Hopping, 1x1 MA list means all the sectors are having same MA List, 1x3 MA List is more efficient but utilization of band is more in it, so all the sectors are having a unique MA List, see below:

1x1 MA List

Now When you defined these MA list with synthesized hopping, your job is to hop in these frequencies. Your call is initiated with the BCCH and suddenly hops in to other TRXs which are having this MAL list.

MAIO is the number which will tell you from where to start (offset) the hopping. For example if i assign the MAIO = 0 to 1x1 list of Cell A then my TRX will start to hop from 80, If i assign the MAIO = 2 to 1x1 list of Cell B then my TRX will start to hop from 82, Similarly if i assign the MAIO = 0 to Cell A of 1x3 MA list then my hopping list will start from 602, and if i assign MAIO = 1 to Cell B of 1x3 MA List then my hoppin will start from 606. See in the Above Example. If you have understood this, then it means your half understanding of MAIO is complete :)

Now one question, hopping doesn't stop, it always continues. If it continues then after starting with the first frequency, where it goes? The answer to this question is defined in HSN. HSN means Hopping Sequence Number and the value of HSN is defined from 0 to 63. Every Value of HSN indicates a unique Sequence of Hopping. For example HSN=1 indicates the cyclic sequence. This sequence is applied again on MA List. Lets take the earlier example now, Suppose we have assigned the HSN=1 to the above MA list with the same MAIOs then following cases will apply:

In Cell A, Your hopping will start from 80 and it continues hopping to 81,82,83,84,85,86,80,81,82,....
In Cell B, you need to make sure that your MAIO is not 0 because you have already assigned it in Cell A so suppose you have given the MAIO=2 in Cell B then your hopping will start from 82 and continues to 83,84,85,86,80,81,82.... (Cyclic HSN)

Note: HSN is defined on the cell level, so you can also assign different HSN to different cells of same site but it is not good planning as it will make ur planning complex and difficult.

In Cell A, Your Hopping will start from 602 and it continues hopping to 605,608,611,614,617,620,602,605... (Cyclic HSN)
In Cell B, If your MAIO is 0 then you will have adjacency because your hopping will start from 603 and 602 is already used in Cell A. So the tricky part is that you STEP your MAIO to 1, which means if you have given MAIO=0 to CELL A then STEP 1 will make it MAIO = 1 to CELL B. Now Stepping is only a theoratical word used here, dont get confused because in database you just have to enter the value of MAIO. Just make it simple that you have assigned MAIO = 1 in Cell A so that your hopping will start from 606 and continues 609,612,615,618,621,603,606... ( Cyclic HSN).

Note: If you enter different value of HSN then it will represent different sequence, so for neighbouring sites we define different HSNs so there are less collissions :)

Now we can go more complex in to it if you have more TRXs. Your Reading to other documents can help you a lot more but it is very easy to understand. The basic idea is the one which i have explained here, if you have any questions then you are most welcome to ask me here, have fun !

that's why i told you that you have to check the frequency list before you configure the hoppung parameter

venom
2009-03-17, 04:55 AM
that's why i told you that you have to check the frequency list before you configure the hoppung parameter
I hope people have the clear understanding of MAIO now, if any questions then please do not hesitate to ask :)

Knowledge is for everyone :)

sanjay
2009-05-29, 02:12 AM

1x1 MA List

Thanks FI
sanjay

stream19
2009-05-29, 09:24 AM
frequency hopping is used to change automatically the frequency. when a user get a channel it means that he will get a timeslot+frequency
then to reduce the interference and to average the error we use the frequency hopping

here there is some terms

HSN is the algorithm used for frequency hopping and you got from 0 - 63 algorithms
1 - cyclique hoppping it means that the user will hopp from frequency 0-1-2-3-0-1-2-3 and so

the MAIO is used to initialize the hopping algorithm it mean from which frequency the algorithm must start

and be careful you have to specify the frequencies that are declared in the bsc before using this frequency hopping system id because if you are using a frequency that you didn't include in the cell frequency list before, the system will refuse the config of the HSID
dear,
i found this information concerning HSN=0 = cyclic not same frequency in E******* document can any one confirme this??

Hopping Sequence Number. A number from 0 to 63, identifying a

“pseudo random generator” used by the MS and the network, to
select next frequency to hop to. HSN = 0 gives cyclic hopping i.e.
the Hopping Frequency Set (HFS), which is the set of frequencies
among which a channel shall hop, is repeatedly traversed in
ascending order of frequency number. Range: 0 - 63.

rheyra
2009-06-10, 06:27 PM
Hi ghassen,
I just want to clarify that HSN=0 is cyclic hopping, and 1-63 is pseudo random hopping. It is either hopping active or not is not based on HSN value, but it depends on hopping feature flag, either activated or not.

BR//Rheyra

here there is some terms

electron
2009-06-10, 08:08 PM
There is a special table for calculating best HSN
If any body want i can share here

ghassen
2009-06-10, 10:41 PM
dear,
i found this information concerning HSN=0 = cyclic not same frequency in E******* document can any one confirme this??

Hopping Sequence Number. A number from 0 to 63, identifying a

“pseudo random generator” used by the MS and the network, to
select next frequency to hop to. HSN = 0 gives cyclic hopping i.e.
the Hopping Frequency Set (HFS), which is the set of frequencies
among which a channel shall hop, is repeatedly traversed in
ascending order of frequency number. Range: 0 - 63.

i'm sure that the HSN = 0 is for no hopping

gprastomo
2009-06-11, 02:02 AM
i'm sure that the HSN = 0 is for no hopping

As i know from siemens propietary, hsn=0 is cyclic hopping, please refer the attached database description of siemens bsc. Maybe ghassen refer to another vendor

giegala
2009-06-11, 02:54 AM
Yes, please. It is very interesting.

Several years back i've done some correlation analysis between different HSN. The result was that correlation varies very little for different HSN pairs.

Thanks in advance

ghassen
2009-06-11, 03:16 AM
As i know from siemens propietary, hsn=0 is cyclic hopping, please refer the attached database description of siemens bsc. Maybe ghassen refer to another vendor

i didn't find it in br10

rheyra
2009-06-11, 12:15 PM
Hi ghassen,
Since this is a basic theory in all vendors (no matters it siemens or nokia or another vendors), so please kindly refer to GSM Rec. delivered by ITU / ETSI for this issue.
HSN=0 is for cyclic hopping.

BR//Rheyra

i didn't find it in br10

gprastomo
2009-06-11, 01:58 PM
i didn't find it in br10
I think for no hopping should be FHSYID=0, not HSN=0

zaebolll
2009-06-11, 08:02 PM
Hi ghassen,
Since this is a basic theory in all vendors (no matters it siemens or nokia or another vendors), so please kindly refer to GSM Rec. delivered by ITU / ETSI for this issue.
HSN=0 is for cyclic hopping.

BR//Rheyra

He is absolutely true ...

gprastomo
2009-06-11, 08:24 PM
He is absolutely true ...

totally agree

ghassen
2009-06-12, 07:29 AM
I think for no hopping should be FHSYID=0, not HSN=0
yes you are right i checked your info thx now i have completed my info

RF Survey
2009-06-12, 11:12 AM
thanks bro,

this is a good lesson to me and another newby...

gandhi_71
2009-06-12, 03:48 PM
For HSN=0 this means Cyclic Hopping and it does not mean NO Hopping.

For Any other HSN 1-63 it means random hopping as per the algorithm defined below.

6.2.3 Hopping sequence generation
For a given set of parameters, the index to an absolute radio frequency channel number (ARFCN) within the mobile allocation (MAI from 0 to N 1, where MAI=0 represents the lowest ARFCN in the mobile allocation, ARFCN is in the range 0 to 1023 and the frequency value can be determined according to GSM 05.05), is obtained with the following algorithm:
if HSN = 0 (cyclic hopping) then:
MAI, integer (0 .. N 1) : MAI = (FN + MAIO) modulo N
else:
M, integer (0 .. 152) : M = T2 + RNTABLE((HSN xor T1R) + T3)
S, integer (0 .. N 1) : M' = M modulo (2 ^ NBIN)
T' = T3 modulo (2 ^ NBIN)
if M' < N then:
S = M'
else:
S = (M'+T') modulo N
MAI, integer (0 .. N 1) : MAI = (S + MAIO) modulo N
NOTE: Due to the procedure used by the mobile for measurement reporting when DTX is used, the use of cyclic hopping where (N)mod 13 = 0 should be avoided.
where:
T1R: time parameter T1, reduced modulo 64 (6 bits)
T3: time parameter, from 0 to 50 (6 bits)
T2: time parameter, from 0 to 25 (5 bits)
NBIN: number of bits required to represent N = INTEGER(log2(N)+1)
^: raised to the power of
xor: bit wise exclusive or of 8 bit binary operands

As you can see from this Algorithm that what you require is HSN and TDMA Frame number to find out what would be the next hopping frequency to hop through.

This Algo runs both in BSS and in MS and resolves any clashes of same frequency allocation provided the Frequency loading is less than 50%.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Gandhi.

thuan
2009-06-12, 05:02 PM

1x1 MA List

Hi lccengr,

You are a teacher, :) Thanks for your explain for MAIO and HSN.

I am a new on GSM techonology so could you pls explain How MAIO and HSN working on my example below:

Cell A: HSN 53
MA list: 834 , 837 , 840 , 843 , 846 , 849 , 852 , 855 , 858 , 861 , 864 , 867 , 870 , 873
MAIO: 0,2,4

Cell B: HSN 53
MA list: 835 , 838 , 841 , 844 , 847 , 850 , 853 , 856 , 859 , 862 , 865 , 868 , 871 , 874
MAIO: 1,3,5

Cell C: HSN 53
MA list: 836 , 839 , 842 , 845 , 848 , 851 , 854 , 857 , 860 , 863 , 866 , 869 , 872 , 875

Your explain will help me and newbie know more cleary on MAIO and HSN working.

Thank you very much.

ghassen
2009-06-26, 08:53 PM
Hi Stealth,

Cheers,

6.2.3 Hopping sequence generation
For a given set of parameters, the index to an absolute radio frequency channel number (ARFCN) within the mobile allocation (MAI from 0 to N 1, where MAI=0 represents the lowest ARFCN in the mobile allocation, ARFCN is in the range 0 to 1023 and the frequency value can be determined according to 3GPP TS 45.005), is obtained with the following algorithm:
if HSN = 0 (cyclic hopping) then:
MAI, integer (0 .. N 1) : MAI = (FN + MAIO) modulo N
else:
M, integer (0 .. 152) : M = T2 + RNTABLE((HSN xor T1R) + T3)
S, integer (0 .. N 1) : M' = M modulo (2 ^ NBIN)
T' = T3 modulo (2 ^ NBIN)
if M' < N then:
S = M'
else:
S = (M'+T') modulo N
MAI, integer (0 .. N 1) : MAI = (S + MAIO) modulo N
NOTE: Due to the procedure used by the mobile for measurement reporting when DTX is used, the use of cyclic hopping where (N)mod 13 = 0 should be avoided.
where:
T1R: time parameter T1, reduced modulo 64 (6 bits)
T3: time parameter, from 0 to 50 (6 bits)
T2: time parameter, from 0 to 25 (5 bits)
NBIN: number of bits required to represent N = INTEGER(log2(N)+1)
^: raised to the power of
xor: bit wise exclusive or of 8 bit binary operands
RNTABLE: Table of 114 integer numbers, defined below:

this from TS45.002 page 24

Dashty
2009-06-26, 09:22 PM
Hello Stealth,
Attached is very short and really useful document,
I hope it can help,

regards

hassen
2009-06-27, 04:01 AM
Hello Stealth,
Attached is very short and really useful document,
I hope it can help,

regards
hi

good presentation about SFH
do you have the same for planet tool or atoll as example.

br hassen

justdream
2009-11-01, 04:17 AM
There is a special table for calculating best HSN
If any body want i can share here

Please share it
thanks in advance

scape
2009-11-01, 10:58 AM

is A or B ?

venom
2009-11-04, 09:20 AM
Hi lccengr,

I am a new on GSM techonology so could you pls explain How MAIO and HSN working on my example below:

MA list: 834 , 837 , 840 , 843 , 846 , 849 , 852 , 855 , 858 , 861 , 864 , 867 , 870 , 873

MA list: 835 , 838 , 841 , 844 , 847 , 850 , 853 , 856 , 859 , 862 , 865 , 868 , 871 , 874

MA list: 836 , 839 , 842 , 845 , 848 , 851 , 854 , 857 , 860 , 863 , 866 , 869 , 872 , 875

Thank you very much.

Hello brother,

Every HSN defines a specific hopping sequence. It can be cyclic or no cyclic. Usually HSN = 0 is for cyclic and 1 to 63 is for non-cyclic (pseudo-random). Now in your case HSN = 53, so it comes in to the category of non-cyclic hopping. I am not sure how the sequence will run but 53 represents that it will run non-cyclic. You have to look for the sequence definitions in order to find the sequence run.

To understand your case, we can just assume (example) that ur sequence will run cyclic (obviously it will not but just to make it simple i am keeping it cyclic).

for Cell A:

The Hopping will start from 0 (834) on first TRX and then jumps to 837 (the second Frequency in the MA list). The cyclic hopping will continue like this

TRX0 : 834 , 837 , 840 , 843 , 846 , 849 , 852 , 855 , 858 , 861 , 864 , 867 , 870 , 873...
TRX1 : 840 , 843 , 846 , 849 , 852 , 855 , 858 , 861 , 864 , 867 , 870 , 873 , 834 , 837...
TRX2 : 846 , 849 , 852 , 855 , 858 , 861 , 864 , 867 , 870 , 873 , 834 , 837 , 837 , 840...

The above hopping is done according to the MAIOs you have assigned that is 0, 2, 4.

Now try to work with Cell B and Cell C and i'll check whether u have made the correct sequence or not. It is always good to use the CYCLIC sequence for ur understanding. If you choose pseudo-random sequence (i.e HSN = 1 to HSN = 63) then it will be difficult for u to understand the sequence. Remember everything is software based so it is not easy to understand the pesudo random sequence with HSN = 1 to 63. It is just the concept, you will never be asked to explain the sequence because this is done in a internal software. You just need to make sure that if you are using HSN (say = 53) on your site then all its 1st and 2nd Neighbors should not have the same HSN. Otherwise you will find high number collissions in your hopping frequencies that will increase interference on ur hopping trxs.

venom
2009-11-04, 09:25 AM

is A or B ?

It is B, typo mistake. Gud u have the concept :)

capcipcup
2009-11-14, 03:47 AM
Hi lccengr,

Thank you very much.

i used this template to make maio hopping

as you can see in maio plan A will may have adjacent with their next cell
because it's freq is to close

i'm prefered using maio plan B

please master correct me if i'm wrong :L
still trying to learn