PDA

View Full Version : Vodacom Deploys 500th LTE Enabled Base Station

pravdivi
2012-12-13, 07:45 PM
Vodacom Deploys 500th LTE Enabled Base Station

South Africa's Vodacom says that it has expanded its LTE coverage from 70 to more than 500 base stations and the rollout has now reached Cape Town.

In addition to having LTE up and running in Johannesburg, Pretoria and Durban, the rollout has now reached Cape Town with sites in the CBD, Stellenbosch, Atlantic Seaboard (including Camps Bay), the Waterfront and Century City. More sites are planned for early next year.

Speaking about the progress on LTE, Chief Technology Officer Andries Delport said: "On average we've lit up another seven LTE sites every single day for the past two months and hit our target of 500 LTE base stations a month early."

Speaking about overall network improvements, Delport said: "In the six months to September we invested R3.2 billion in our network in South Africa. One of the big focus areas has been providing high speed links to our base stations, which we've now completed at more than 5,000 sites to support both LTE and faster 3G connections,"

For customers wanting to connect to the LTE network, Vodacom stocks a number of LTE devices which are available at selected stores across Gauteng and KZN and Cape Town. All these devices will automatically switch to the 3G network when LTE coverage is not available

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/57777.php

ledhie
2012-12-13, 08:12 PM
Could you tell me which vendor in Cape Town area ? Thank's for the info.

pravdivi
2012-12-14, 04:50 PM
Could you tell me which vendor in Cape Town area ? Thank's for the info.

Sorry, i don't know

dimooon11
2012-12-14, 06:57 PM
Vodacom LTE network uses NSN in South Africa

ledhie
2012-12-14, 08:11 PM
Vodacom LTE network uses NSN in South Africa

As far I know NSN only in Durban & Eastern Cape for Joburg area by Huawei. In Cape Town existing 2G & 3G belong to Alcatel Lucent but for upgrading to LTE I don't know. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just curious.

dimooon11
2012-12-14, 08:23 PM
Vodacom has selected NSN for its LTE network in South Africa.
I believe Cape Town is not exception.