PDA

View Full Version : Australia 1 arc sec (30 meters) Digital Elevation Data

paxan71
2012-11-13, 11:35 AM
Hi all,
I just want to share a news about free 30m (1 arc sec) elevation data for entire Australia continent - pretty good news!

That data has recently been released by Geoscience Australia and is available from National Elevation Data Framework Portal (NEDF Portal).
All you need to do is to register at NEDF Portal (http://nedf.ga.gov.au/geoportal/catalog/main/home.page), wait for authorisation and then use your new login to access search data.

The process of downloading is not straight forward (i.e. there is no FTP links to archived files or something like that).
You need to select (using LAT/LONG boundaries) an area to download (I usually select 2 x 2 arc degrees) and then click on SEARCH.
Then in the RESULTS tab select one format or the other and tick ORDER and press ORDER button. This will bring you to the next page, where you need to review your order, acknowledge disclaimer and Perform Order.
Make sure selected area is under 400MB in size. Anything bigger is not for free. You can place as many orders as you wish, just need to maintain them under 400MB.
Then watch your emails:
First one will come with attachment. Make sure attachment is CC (Creative Commons) license and you don't need to do anything else, just wait for couple of other emails, with last one containing link to download file and password for ZIP archive.

Data comes in ADF format, but I normally convert it with Global Mapper to SRTM1 and use it happily in multitude of RF tools.

I hope this post will be of some help.

P.S. Prior to posting that news I searched for NEDF throughout whole site with no results, so assuming that topic was not discussed on the forum yet.

ledhie
2012-11-13, 02:29 PM
Hi, thank's for the info. I think this only for Australian citizen, or could you give us trick how to register without mention address in Australia ? because those filed are mandatory.

paxan71
2012-11-17, 02:39 PM
Hi ledhie,
I don't think they are checking your address (well, no one checked mine). So, you can enter any address (good advice, do not use street address of Parliament or Opera House.
As long as you give valid e-mail address, it should be fine.