PDA

View Full Version : U.S. lawmakers seek to block China Huawei, ZTE U.S. inroads

tester
2012-10-10, 01:57 PM
www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/08/us-usa-china-huawei-zte-idUSBRE8960NH20121008

(Reuters) - U.S. telecommunications operators should not do business with China's top network equipment makers because potential Chinese state influence on the companies poses a security threat, the U.S. House of Representatives Intelligence Committee said in a report on Monday.

mike
2012-10-10, 04:13 PM
I think the concern is because in the short time Huawei will bankrupt CISCO. It is common for any company to receive information about the performance of their systems and equipments. For example, Any US company like Microsoft, CISCO, Oracle, Apple,etc use to receive information about the "performance" of their systems and nobody says that this is a security threat. What about google?. Google is practically everywhere, inclusive inside private systems. Google was demanded by apple for getting information about their Safari users. And what about Qualcomm? Qualcomm Chipsets are practically inside any mobile phone and tablets and nobody says nothing about this. And Facebook?. I don't use facebook.

Mike:cool:

www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/08/us-usa-china-huawei-zte-idUSBRE8960NH20121008 (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/08/us-usa-china-huawei-zte-idUSBRE8960NH20121008)

(Reuters) - U.S. telecommunications operators should not do business with China's top network equipment makers because potential Chinese state influence on the companies poses a security threat, the U.S. House of Representatives Intelligence Committee said in a report on Monday.

tharinduwije
2012-10-11, 02:04 AM
Quite true Mike....I think its all because of the personal benefits.Sometimes the recent White House ****ing must have aggravated the things.Who can confirm that the Qualcomm chips are not having back doors for unauthorized access? :rolleyes:

paboya
2012-10-12, 09:06 AM
in my opinion
not all what US worry is correct, but any part that true

Honestly we have bad experience with ZTE, where one of their engineer try to copy something in our office illegally
i don't know it's for spy propose or not, but what they did is illegal
But the US worry, my thought just cause business competition
we know China's product already spread widely...start from small thing (toy) until the big commodity
and it threat US economy ...they panic cause Chine no like another country that they can control
and one of big country that have big armament..

i don't trust both US and China :)
But if have to choose...i prefer China, coz they never kill people like US in Iraq, Afganistan, Vietnam, Lybia

mobile4lte
2012-10-14, 04:34 PM
I think huawei is strong, the United States the move is not rational.

james-ran
2012-10-16, 06:21 PM
Yes, I agree some from paboya.

I am a chinese engineer, thus,something I can understand.

For example, as paboya said some behaviors of ZTE engineers.

China Engineers had gotten less training on these aspects to respect cutsomter privacy. Thus, I think we should improve our professional behaviors.

But as I know, US said ZTE and HW are as a spy for china goverment, I don't believe this statements.

I just had worked in US company, and know American how to work. HW/ZTE' engineers work very hard everyday, but these american,go to BAR for drinking and lady after work.

mmrcutio
2012-10-18, 12:43 AM
@james-ran:

When I read you post I decided that I have to get account here to clarify how Huawei works. :)...

I worked for Huawei as wireless engineer (2G/3G) in several large rollouts and swaps in Europe (T-Mobile, Vodafone etc..). And I must say that plenty of times I saw Huawei engineers asking the operator for any docs that they could get. Not necessarily required for the project but all they could get. Why? Ask yourself. I will give just one example, when a RADIO guy (chinese) asked operator to give him backbone structure of the whole network in the country. Do you think that he needed it for RAN design? I doubt it :)))...

Another time I was accompanied by an "expert" - they like to call themselfs in this way.( don't get me wrong here- Huawei has great engineers, but they are usually protected in China..).I didn't know him but he joined me on a trip to a customer site. Well boss said he will be usefull..What did he start doing on the site? He took out his camera and started opening ALL cabinets and took photos of everything he could...

I learned as well the bussiness style of Huawei when they asked me to sign BSS low level design that was supposed to go to customer..and that was not containing truth. I told them what is missing (dimentioning was a total lie) and they said that the client doesn't know this and if the traffic will be to big then they will give the client proper amout of boards. But later.....This is how they are cheaper than E******* and NSN...

You said that HW/ZTE engineers work very hard everyday? Depends. Usually they work in packs I would say. One to translate from english to chinese, one to call R&D in china to get answer and one to keep an eye on the rest. I saw engineers opening and closing the same window on the screen for half an hour just to pretend that they work. I saw guys as well that work 16 hours a day or maybe I should say a night, because they work on the night shifts...What is the quality of their work? After one week of night shifts very poor...And it's not their fault. Their bosses treat them like slaves. 2 months in Europe and guy is shattered and goes back to China. And when a slave becomes a boss - you can imagine what happens...I saw adult man crying in the office because of stress. I saw self criticism that had to be done in front of the team - like in comunism. Spying on employees and giving prises for them to spy on each other..Madness. This is what Huawei is. Poor operators do not understand this because what counts for them is money. They pretend not to see, but they don't know know that if they continue like that, they will all become Huawei slaves...

You said that americans go to bars to have a drink and to strip clubs? No kidding. The time in Huawei was the best if you ask me. I could not count the times I was taken to a strip club by HW engineer and offered to get drunk and have fun with him and his favourite girl :)))) And it happened in every city I had a project in. So pease don't tell this kind of lies..

And honestly after this time in Huawei I can bet that HW spies, if not for goverment then for itself...

justdream
2012-10-18, 02:10 AM
http://www.telecompaper.com/news/huawei-zte-respond-to-us-security-concerns

Huawei, ZTE respond to US security concerns (http://www.telecompaper.com/news/huawei-zte-respond-to-us-security-concerns)

byja
2012-10-19, 04:53 AM
mmrcutio, you're gonna get senior member status fast only cause of this post. :)

Had a similar experience with ZTE engineers when we did a swap for Telenor. Not very professional people. Yes, they "worked" a lot, and till late hours. Why, because during the day they pretend they work, and in night time they talk to the people who know their job, but are in China.
What I didn't like about them also was that they always shifted the blame for their equipment on other vendors (us, blaming everything on "transmission problems"). Still, there were one or two guys who knew what they were supposed to do. And when I say one or two, I mean one or two (second guy unfortunately left for other project).
Of course they always used the opportunity to investigate other vendor's equipment, but let's be honest, I also got all the documentation on their products as well, even though we did transmission only, and they did RAN and core parts only. Let's call it normal engineer's curiosity.
Huawei's also always looking for any docs on other vendors, but surprisingly they're not aware of flaws in their organization. For example they often use their U2000 server for file sharing without any restrictions. :)

And james-ran, don't work hard, work smart. There's nothing wrong with going to a bar after work, but there's something definitely wrong with working 16 or more hours a day.