PDA

View Full Version : packet throughput in EDGE

eritelecom
2009-02-10, 06:43 PM
hello,

can anyone give us the meaning of "Packet throughput" in EDGE ?
sure there is a difference between RLC throughput and packet throughput but I didn't find any doc speaking about the "packet throughput" in EDGE, how can be calculated ?

thx in advance

Roman99
2009-10-20, 10:13 PM
hello,

can anyone give us the meaning of "Packet throughput" in EDGE ?
sure there is a difference between RLC throughput and packet throughput but I didn't find any doc speaking about the "packet throughput" in EDGE, how can be calculated ?

thx in advance

I think it is the number of packets that can be transmitted per unit of time.
Since it is a mean (rather than instantaneous) parameter, this value should be averaged over a long time (sometimes considered infinity).

wolverine
2009-10-20, 10:23 PM
Without reading the document you are referring to, I would say that the term "packet" is usually associated with TCP, therefore you are looking at the throughput at that layer, which being higher up the stack than RLC, will be lower.

Roman99
2009-10-21, 12:12 AM
Without reading the document you are referring to, I would say that the term "packet" is usually associated with TCP, therefore you are looking at the throughput at that layer, which being higher up the stack than RLC, will be lower.

Exactly (although TCP uses "segments" rather than "packets").
Thus, it makes sense to use some software to capture/analyze a packet flow over EDGE.
I would recommend Wireshark, since it is freeware.
http://www.wireshark.org/