PDA

View Full Version : Microwave devices with MPLS capabilities

ankarb
2012-03-23, 07:10 PM
Do you know which vendors have or plan to have Microwave devices capable of MPLS? :confused:

From what I know all current microwave devices have only Ethernet switching (L2) functionality.

Thanks in advance. :)​

simog72
2012-03-24, 02:17 AM
SIAE Microelettronica and huawei at the moment

ankarb
2012-03-24, 05:54 AM

I agree for Huawei, but for SIAE I cannot find any document that mentions such capability. To clarify when I say MPLS capability I mean that the forwarding is done based on MPLS labels and not based on VLAN/MAC address.

byja
2012-03-25, 04:50 PM
Huawei's RTN can not even do QoS based on MPLS TC (EXP) bits, so I doubt they have something better.

simog72
2012-03-26, 04:05 PM
RTN 905 has MPLS switchinbg capability byja..

ankarb
2012-03-26, 04:11 PM
Huawei's RTN can not even do QoS based on MPLS TC (EXP) bits, so I doubt they have something better.

Huawei's RTN9xx series supports MPLS. For example RTN910 is actually a Router with MPLS functionality. See attachment below:

RTN910 product description => 25821

simog72
2012-03-26, 04:12 PM
i told 905...it s the new compact

ankarb
2012-03-26, 05:08 PM
i told 905...it s the new compact

Do you have more information about RTN 905? (no info at Huawei's web).

Thanks in advance.

simog72
2012-03-26, 05:52 PM
sure..pls add rept

ankarb
2012-03-29, 07:47 PM
Could you help me about the following situation?

Let's say that I need to backhaul a 3G NodeB with ATM IMA interface with a Ethernet microwave radio. The Ethernet microwave radio MUST be able to implement ATM pseudowire (RFC4717). That is it must create a packet with 2 MPLS labels: the PW label (inner) and the transport label (outer). Nonetheless the forwarding of these packets (at the microwave part of the network) will be based on VLAN and MAC address because microwave radio is Ethernet (L2) device. Also the 2 MPLS labels will be assigned statically (NMS) because Ethernet microwave radio has no control plane (LDP support).

My question is about the way these pseudowire circuits are handled end-to-end (from NodeB to RNC). Somewhere in the Aggregation network (which usually is IP/MPLS network) must exist a special router that can handle such cases. Could you indicate router devices that can handle situations like the above one?

:confused::confused::confused:

simog72
2012-03-29, 09:50 PM
Just to higlight the easiest solution you can use a hybrid MW in order to transport E1 (ATM IMA) ..but for sure you already have considered it and evaluated it as unusable for your scenario.right?both SIAE and Huawei MW has a solutions.

Huawei is includuing in some microwave IDUs module designed as edge switch/router able to accept capable to manage MPLS (they are also providere of mobile access and network devices) ..i m thinking about 9xx series.
SIAE has implemented some compact IDU ALCPlus2E capable to accept E1,ETH,STM1,CE-E1 and E1 can be also trasnported over PWE3.
In your case enodeB E1s will be packetized and transported by the IDU adding also MPLS inner/outer labels. Header compression feature, they claim to have, it could be usefull in order to increase the capacity transport effeciency.

A lot of Tellabls and Cisco routers handle standard MPLS labels generated by SIAE/HUAWEI/3°part MWs and support Circuit emulations...all depends on your budget.

my experiences is : i 'm using SIAE ALFOplus fulloutdoor version and i tested the header compression and 1024QAM (same feature they say included in ALCplus2e)
soon i wiil test also tha compact split mount solution .. i will let you know if yuo are intrested

i hope this helps

ankarb
2012-03-30, 01:33 AM
Just to higlight the easiest solution you can use a hybrid MW in order to transport E1 (ATM IMA) ..but for sure you already have considered it and evaluated it as unusable for your scenario.right?both SIAE and Huawei MW has a solutions.

Huawei is includuing in some microwave IDUs module designed as edge switch/router able to accept capable to manage MPLS (they are also providere of mobile access and network devices) ..i m thinking about 9xx series.
SIAE has implemented some compact IDU ALCPlus2E capable to accept E1,ETH,STM1,CE-E1 and E1 can be also trasnported over PWE3.
In your case enodeB E1s will be packetized and transported by the IDU adding also MPLS inner/outer labels. Header compression feature, they claim to have, it could be usefull in order to increase the capacity transport effeciency.

A lot of Tellabls and Cisco routers handle standard MPLS labels generated by SIAE/HUAWEI/3°part MWs and support Circuit emulations...all depends on your budget.

my experiences is : i 'm using SIAE ALFOplus fulloutdoor version and i tested the header compression and 1024QAM (same feature they say included in ALCplus2e)
soon i wiil test also tha compact split mount solution .. i will let you know if yuo are intrested

i hope this helps

From what I know Tellabs is not suitable for my case because they do not support static to dynamic pseudowire switching. They support only static to static pseudowire switching.

Could you propose a CISCO device (or Alcatel?)?

Also, could you share information about SIAE ALFOplus? (product manual, ...)?

Thanks in advance.