PDA

View Full Version : Question Telecommunication Career

winston
2012-03-07, 02:51 PM
hi frens,

I just graduated with Bachelors in Telecommunication and joined subcon that deals with huawei and zte. I was wondering how long should i work here before i pursue Masters degree. I always had a desire of obtaining a Masters degree in Telecommunication. Should i go for it? How is the job market for a telecom engineer?

thank u

D33T0X
2012-03-08, 07:07 AM
My opinion - get your Masters degree while academy knowledge is still fresh. Later it will be hard.
market - going up and down - nobody knows the future.

hi frens,

I just graduated with Bachelors in Telecommunication and joined subcon that deals with huawei and zte. I was wondering how long should i work here before i pursue Masters degree. I always had a desire of obtaining a Masters degree in Telecommunication. Should i go for it? How is the job market for a telecom engineer?

thank u

jamesbond
2012-03-11, 03:03 AM
You may carry your masters in evening session........... But in a subcon I don't think you would have time for it.
I think experience matters more than masters in a telecom market. If you take 2 years off, more graduates will make competetion hard. So, just use your time and work. If get job in an operator, you may earn masters while on job.

BR

mike
2012-03-11, 04:57 PM
In my personal Experience I can give you some advice:

I worked six month with a Subcontractor for E*******, then I worked one year directly with E*******. I received all the courses from E******* about GSM and 3G. After that I worked one year with an independent consulting company that offered Engineering support to CLARO and Movistar Operators in LatinoAmerica. And then I was hired by Huawei for a one year and six month in a 3G Project Deployment.

After that I decided to pursue a Master Degree in the USA. So, Why to go for a Master degree after having too many jobs opportunities and Experience?. I can tell you that an Engineer with experience and a degree is more valuable than Just an Engineer with experience. You can start your own consulting company and sell yourself as an Expert.

However, my advice is that you must start your master as soon as possible. But believe me , is very hard and difficult to study and work in the telecom industry at the same time. Also, You must go back to the University thinking that Telecommunications is your passion, and not thinking about the money that you are losing, because you can get frustrated.

If you love money, wants to earn money and having boss ---> stay working.
If you love Telecomm, want spent(invest in yourself) money and time going to the University for a better future where you'll be your own boss ---> go back the University

Mike.

hi frens,

thank u

rm77
2012-03-13, 05:19 PM
So to decide you have to think about the following things:
-knowledge,experience,career,money , time (age) and finally the personal life(wife,child...)
i think that mike experience is a good example which guide you to decide
good luck.

indiaco
2012-03-21, 09:14 AM
Hi, I think Mike's comments are good advice, I would like to add a thing that I believe to be really important. If you have decided you want to go for a masters degree, be sure that it is the right one your carrer path. In my experience, Telecomunications masters that are often too wide in subjects and lack in depth.
I spent a year in Spain in a telco masters degree, that was good and opened a lot of door for me, but was not the thing I was expecting (lucky enough I was on a scholarship) and did not turn me into an expert, it just gave me an update on my university degree. Talk to as many people as you can that have already completed the studies you plan to follow, and give a good long thought to the pros and cons.
Also, try looking for a scholarship, many times you can find a good option that would only cost you time and efford.
Best of lucks.

N.

firstmaxim
2012-04-08, 02:29 AM
Winston,
You could always pursue a master's degree later in life, but would advise you to look at career first. Many times a bachelor's degree with experience trumps a fresh master's degree. There are plenty of universities offering master's programs in telecom on-line, and your experience would only help you to finish the same with ease. Also be prepared to shell at least $25,000 over a two year time-frame from a good university.

firstmaxim
2012-04-08, 02:33 AM
Mike, he could look at some of the on-line degrees offered by reputed universities like SMU, Colorado State University, Denver, etc. That way, he is not loosing out on his experience. These universities do not distinguish between online and fulltime degrees.

xmission
2012-04-12, 05:38 AM
As some of the members have suggested, master's degree migth be an overkill if your target is to work on networks of telecom companies. Bachelor's degree is enough of a qualification. And anyways part of every academic course is outdated or unnecessary (or irrelevant to practical life) stuff. Why do you want to waste your time and inefficiency in that? Try to keep gaining experience. That will be your wealth in moving up

2-throne
2012-04-18, 03:35 AM
i think that any new fresh should start it from operator or vendor but from small scale coz you are still in the learning position.

mike
2012-04-18, 07:53 AM
I am disappointed to read this comment. Anyway, a Master/Phd degree in Electrical Engineering is not for everybody.

Mike.

As some of the members have suggested, master's degree migth be an overkill if your target is to work on networks of telecom companies. Bachelor's degree is enough of a qualification. And anyways part of every academic course is outdated or unnecessary (or irrelevant to practical life) stuff. Why do you want to waste your time and inefficiency in that? Try to keep gaining experience. That will be your wealth in moving up

cterms
2012-07-25, 06:58 PM
iam working in a mnc concern ...my prob is i am unable to write my Masters degree exams, if finish up then its good to be on top on my professinal graph ..its bit a pain but need to suceed :)

student42
2012-07-26, 10:58 AM
Dear all members,
Even though,I haven't graduated from university yet,however, in my opinion,after graduation,I would consider applying for a good job with high salary(as long as you have a good qualification) (I'm working on it :p)and going back to university to study for a master degree,such as.You know,working for a large telecomunication coporation,you can gain lots of experience,at the same time, studying for a degree might propel your career to a higher future.So,in coclusion,I'm going to do both of them simultaniously.
Best Regards,

rgs_rgs
2012-09-01, 12:51 AM
I agree with the main possition here. It's a good option to finish some studies (bachellor/university), then start working in a big company and get experience and try to meanwhile do some master studies while working