PDA

View Full Version : Data Transfer Failure Event due to Missing signaling?

kentck86
2012-02-28, 12:47 PM
Hi All,

Please advise me on the failure events happens in the period of missing signaling? Whats could be the actual cause of missing signaling? Tools related? Network related? Or Ippath loss related? Please enlighten me on this and kindly please find the captured event from DT Trace and IMSI Trace log as follows, as seen there were 40s of missing signaling and there were file transfer failure event occurred.

kentck86
2012-03-02, 09:44 PM
Hi,

Anyone can give me any input please? As for this case, i been checked there is no Ippath loss. Since both DT Trace and IMSI trace found missing signaling, could it be core network related issue?

p/s: this is huawei RAN12

boring
2012-03-09, 09:14 PM
i am not sure that there is any missing signalling here. it is extremely unlikely to have both DT trace and IMSI trace having problems at the same time.

from the information provided, it appears that during the FTP download, the radio conditions are good and we had excellent dominance (only one cell in AS). this means that during this period we didn't have any radio/mobiulity related signalling.

now, it is still possible to have an FTP download failure for other non-radio related reasons (e.g. server outage, excessive packet loss, etc).

you should bear in mind these kind of failures are completely transparent to radio & CN, and this is why you don't see any signalling at all, apart from the DEACTIVATE PDP CONTEXT message which is generated by the UE.

finally, in order to troubleshoot this kind of failure, we need IP-layer specific tracing.

hope this helps

kentck86
2012-03-12, 10:01 PM
Hi Mate,

Glad to have your inputs here, for IP Layer trace are you referring to Protocol Trace by utilizing Wireshark? Did you had tried IP Layer trace? Could you share me your case if you had did any please?

thank you

i am not sure that there is any missing signalling here. it is extremely unlikely to have both DT trace and IMSI trace having problems at the same time.

from the information provided, it appears that during the FTP download, the radio conditions are good and we had excellent dominance (only one cell in AS). this means that during this period we didn't have any radio/mobiulity related signalling.

now, it is still possible to have an FTP download failure for other non-radio related reasons (e.g. server outage, excessive packet loss, etc).

you should bear in mind these kind of failures are completely transparent to radio & CN, and this is why you don't see any signalling at all, apart from the DEACTIVATE PDP CONTEXT message which is generated by the UE.

finally, in order to troubleshoot this kind of failure, we need IP-layer specific tracing.

hope this helps

boring
2012-03-13, 02:37 AM
ok. for IP layer troubleshooting i use Wireshark. typically, i take traces at the UE and at the server. i have lots of such traces. are you interested in something in particular e.g FTP, HTTP call, WAP call, video streaming, MMS?

i guess that by "IP Layer trace", it is a functionality available by Huawei. If this is the case, unfortunately i haven't used it yet.

kentck86
2012-03-13, 10:37 AM
Hi Mate,

Surely i am interested in those cases, especially on FTP. I did seen there were IP Trace function in huawei, however i have no authority to perform that too.
It would be glad if you could share me the cases for IP Layer troubleshooting using Wireshark please.

ok. for IP layer troubleshooting i use Wireshark. typically, i take traces at the UE and at the server. i have lots of such traces. are you interested in something in particular e.g FTP, HTTP call, WAP call, video streaming, MMS?

i guess that by "IP Layer trace", it is a functionality available by Huawei. If this is the case, unfortunately i haven't used it yet.

boring
2012-03-13, 04:58 PM
no problem. over the next few days, i will share with you some of these traces