PDA

View Full Version : Question Planning for Marine area.

samcooldude1430
2012-02-27, 06:54 PM
Can any one help me how coverage planning is done for marine area? Which propogation model is used? Which frequency band is used? :confused:

Can we use atoll tool for coverage prediction?

Please help.....

dekili
2012-02-27, 10:30 PM
Hi,

frequency band is related to the technology or the service that you intend to use. It means that if you are thinking about GSM, WCDMA you will use standard channels and if you are looking to provide special services for maritime communication you will use that frequency band (usually bellow 500MHz). If you thinking on providing GSM and UMTS service you can use Atol. You can use Atol even for this maritime services but then you will be limited pure to coverage and interference. It depends what you want. Regarding the propagation models, you will need good DTM that will show that you are working over large water area (due to reflections) and if that is the small area you can use ray tracing. For a small area it will be fast enough and will include all reflections and scattering from the water and a shore. If you don't have ray tracing, and you have buildings in the marina, you can use Deygout+correction. All tools have this correction embeded and this is the combination of free space, modified knife edge and additional losses.
Cheers,

samcooldude1430
2012-02-27, 11:28 PM
Hi,

frequency band is related to the technology or the service that you intend to use. It means that if you are thinking about GSM, WCDMA you will use standard channels and if you are looking to provide special services for maritime communication you will use that frequency band (usually bellow 500MHz). If you thinking on providing GSM and UMTS service you can use Atol. You can use Atol even for this maritime services but then you will be limited pure to coverage and interference. It depends what you want. Regarding the propagation models, you will need good DTM that will show that you are working over large water area (due to reflections) and if that is the small area you can use ray tracing. For a small area it will be fast enough and will include all reflections and scattering from the water and a shore. If you don't have ray tracing, and you have buildings in the marina, you can use Deygout+correction. All tools have this correction embeded and this is the combination of free space, modified knife edge and additional losses.
Cheers,

Hi dekili,

The scope of work are
- outdoor prediction/coverage validation of the following systems:
o UHF/VHF trunked radio
o VHF Marine Radio
o VHF Aeronautical Radio
o MF/HF Radio

- Indoor prediction/coverage validation of the following systems:
o UHF/VHF trunked radio

Can atoll be used? Or any tool you might be knowing for such work.....

dekili
2012-02-27, 11:58 PM
For this type of analysis ATDI might be the best (for outdoor) that you can find on this forum. You can use Atol as well or even Nice Nir. The only important thing is that you should crete your own technology. Here is what I have in mind. You can make new technology based on GSM but istead of 200kHz channel you will use 12.5kHz and 25kHz. Instead of 900MHz you will be using 30MHz and up to 400MHz. HF is from 3MHz to 30MHz. VHF is from 30MHz up to 300MHz. Check on the site of your national regulator what frequency bands are assigned to those services that you have mentioned. You can also check on ITU website (www.itu.org (http://www.itu.org)) where you can download ITU-R series recommendations where you can find frequency bands for the services that you need. You need to know exact service that you are looking for because this is a little too broad to analyze. You should know if you are analyzing air traffic control, fire department, Utillity companies systems (they have their own systems) etc.. If you can't find anything I can check back here and in the next days and post some infomation but I can't promise...
You will be able to get even in Atol coverage and interference matrix.
For indoor, you cannot use Atol. For these technologies best solution would be Insite that you can find on this forum...
Capacity calculation for these systems in Atol and Insite is out of question. You will have to do it manually...
Cheers

firstmaxim
2012-02-28, 04:27 AM
Can any one help me how coverage planning is done for marine area? Which propogation model is used? Which frequency band is used? :confused:

Can we use atoll tool for coverage prediction?

Please help.....

Hata model can be employed, with appropriate compensation for Clutter (in this case, it is water). The clutter values are published by the RACE project of COST.

samcooldude1430
2012-02-28, 02:56 PM
For this type of analysis ATDI might be the best (for outdoor) that you can find on this forum. You can use Atol as well or even Nice Nir. The only important thing is that you should crete your own technology. Here is what I have in mind. You can make new technology based on GSM but istead of 200kHz channel you will use 12.5kHz and 25kHz. Instead of 900MHz you will be using 30MHz and up to 400MHz. HF is from 3MHz to 30MHz. VHF is from 30MHz up to 300MHz. Check on the site of your national regulator what frequency bands are assigned to those services that you have mentioned. You can also check on ITU website (www.itu.org (http://www.itu.org)) where you can download ITU-R series recommendations where you can find frequency bands for the services that you need. You need to know exact service that you are looking for because this is a little too broad to analyze. You should know if you are analyzing air traffic control, fire department, Utillity companies systems (they have their own systems) etc.. If you can't find anything I can check back here and in the next days and post some infomation but I can't promise...
You will be able to get even in Atol coverage and interference matrix.
For indoor, you cannot use Atol. For these technologies best solution would be Insite that you can find on this forum...
Capacity calculation for these systems in Atol and Insite is out of question. You will have to do it manually...
Cheers

Hi Dekili,

Can you please provide more focus on what change I have to make in atoll? I mean which project I have to use becuse latest atoll having UMTS GSM LTE and Wimax project. What are the necessary inputs to be given? What about the sectorisation? Do we need it or not? What inputs would be necessary apart from propogation model?

Thanks

samcooldude1430
2012-02-28, 03:00 PM
Hata model can be employed, with appropriate compensation for Clutter (in this case, it is water). The clutter values are published by the RACE project of COST.

Hi firstmaxim,

Could you please evaluate what you mean by "The clutter values are published by the RACE project of COST. "