PDA

View Full Version : Nokia Siemens Networks, IDirect Connect Mobile Base Stations Via Satellite

pioneerelex
2011-12-23, 05:49 AM
Telecom operators can now provide 3G mobile broadband to isolated and under-served areas via satellite backhaul. The approach that makes this possible combines Nokia Siemens Networks' I-HSPA with Evolution satellite routers from VT iDirect. The solution, successfully tested by both companies, can deliver downlink speeds of 10 Mbps per user from base stations in remote areas linked to a core network via satellite.

"The growing demand for mobile broadband is making operators look for efficient ways of delivering services in areas with low population density where terrestrial transport networks are less economically viable," said Keith Sutton, head of the WCDMA business line for Nokia Siemens Networks. "Our I-HSPA architecture, together with iDirect's Satellite platform, makes 3G mobile broadband delivery possible in such areas. In addition to services such as social networking and video streaming, operators can deliver Tele-medication and remote learning, helping bridge the digital divide."

Nokia Siemens Networks' I-HSPA uses a flat architecture for 3G networks that supports voice as well as high-speed data services. By allowing base stations to connect directly to the core network, I-HSPA eliminates the need for the intermediate nodes found in traditional networks.

Nokia Siemens Networks' I-HSPA and iDirect's Evolution product line are already commercially available.