PDA

View Full Version : Cell/Sector/Carrier

s.sunilpal123
2011-11-24, 07:02 PM
Hello experts.

What is the relation between cell, sector and no. of carriers, TRX in each technology: GSM, UMTS, LTE?

Rep n thanks assured!

yhussain110
2011-11-25, 12:50 PM
For GSM

In GSM, example a site having 3 sectors , Alpa , Beta & gamma. These sectors are cells, alpha beta & Gamma cells. And each cell can be assigned no. of trx's depending on the capacity. And each trx is assigned a frequency, if it is baseband hopping. so if a cell has 8 trx's it willl have 8 frequency assigned to it. .

For UMTS

For a UMTS three sector site (Alpa, beta & Gamma). Each sector can have number of frequency carriers, depending on the capacity. each carrier is a cell in UMTS. So if a Alpha sector has 3 frequency carrier, it will have 3 cells.

For LTE

In LTE , a sector is assigned a frequency band. Each sector is assigned a PCI - primary cell identification. So for a three sector site , it will all have 0, 1, & 2, with its own PCI & PRACH to identify the cells. Each frequency band has 12 sub-carriers to distribute data & signalling.

I hope you must have got some clarification from my comment.

I f you have further question , please dont hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

Hello experts.

What is the relation between cell, sector and no. of carriers, TRX in each technology: GSM, UMTS, LTE?

Rep n thanks assured!

s52d
2011-11-25, 02:50 PM
Hello experts.

Rep n thanks assured!
Hi!
No of carriers: in GSM, nr of TRX, in case of single ran, it is how many 200 kHz wide signals you transmit.

Site is base station site, each having one or more sectors, power, aircon, transport etc.
For sector: each antenna is own sector (two antennas in same direction for RX diversity, more for MIMO over 2x2).
Thus, you might have several carriers per sector.

Cell: depends where you are.
In US English, site is a cell. They do cellular telephony.
In British English, sector is a cell. They do mobile telephony.

As fun: I recall an article many years ago, saying: Ah, we in Europe are so behind US; we still use mobile telefphony,
while in US they already starting with cellular telephony!

For many vendors, cell is logical entity.
For examply, if you have 900 MHz and 1800 MHz on the same antenna, this can be one cell (single BCCH) or two cells (two BCCHs).
For HSPA: if you have two carriers per sector, this counts as two cells.
Same with LTE, if you have several carriers per sector.

To resume: site and sector are clear and same everywhere.
Cell means either site, or sector, or carrier: depending on context.

For readers of WFA, we build networks, we configure systems, so for us cell is logical entity
in the base station (BSC/RNC/eNB). Grandma might misunderstood us, so I avoid using term "cell"
when talking outside our circles.

BR
s52d