PDA

View Full Version : Question What a Latency ?

fahmi
2011-11-01, 08:09 PM
When reading some documents, I find that among the improvements made by LTE is its " Low Latency " (10-20 ms).
could you explain what a Latency ?
many thks :)

mohyedeen_alkousy
2011-11-01, 08:12 PM
Im not LTE expert but i think it's similar to latency in other technology
it means the time needed for one packet to go forth and back again like RTT

adewijaya
2011-11-01, 08:20 PM
what kind of KPI on data performance?

1. Latency
2. Jitter
3. Delay

anything else? for any documents please welcome :)

firstmaxim
2011-11-01, 08:22 PM
When reading some documents, I find that among the improvements made by LTE is its " Low Latency " (10-20 ms).
could you explain what a Latency ?
many thks :)

LTE reduces latency in several ways:

1. Omission of RNC and aggregating its functionality in Node B, thereby reducing the amount of protocol layers
2. The Tramsission Time Interval in LTE is 1 ms as supposed to HSPA which is 2ms and R99 WCDMA which could be either 10/20/40/80 ms.

fon909
2011-11-01, 08:55 PM
As explained in all above posts, in simple words it means;

time taken by a packet (data) to go from point A to point B and back to point A.

Latency plays an important part in customer's perception of the service, hence network operators strive to have as minimum latency as possible.

LTE has reduced round trip delay (latency) to the minimum.

Hope this helps.

tukangoptim
2011-11-05, 07:45 AM
...and UMTS reduce it by SRB over HSPA..

User Plane Latency, is the delay seen by an application in exchanging data with a server. fe: PING delay the delay from a UE sending a small PING to the first IP node in the network and receiving the PING response.

Control plane latency, is the call setup latencyfor a User Equipment (UE) to transition to a state where it can send/receive data.

As explained in all above posts, in simple words it means;

time taken by a packet (data) to go from point A to point B and back to point A.

Latency plays an important part in customer's perception of the service, hence network operators strive to have as minimum latency as possible.

LTE has reduced round trip delay (latency) to the minimum.

Hope this helps.