PDA

View Full Version : Cell Barred

thewatcher
2011-10-27, 11:00 PM
Dear Experts,

When configuring Cell Barred=Yes in GSM network, can this cause MS that measure only that cell and no neighbors to be out of service?
can that MS initiate or receive calls?

Thanks in advance.

zeldalcl
2011-10-28, 01:08 AM
can u rewrite clearly,i have done a cell barred in important zone. I can share experience to do it.

thewatcher
2011-10-28, 01:29 AM
zeldalcl,

I want to activate Cell Barred on some cells in the network.
When Cell Barred is set to YES, MS will not camp on the barred cell.
What happens if a MS can only measure the radio from the barred cells.
That means that this MS can not measure the radio of any other neighboring cell in the area.

Since the cell is barred and that MS has no other alternatives will he camp on the barred cell?
will that MS be able to initiate and/or receive calls?

thanks!

zhanglw268
2011-10-28, 06:38 AM
It depends how the cell is Barred.
If the cell is barred for access class 0-9 only, and the cell is the only cell in the coverage, the Mobile will camp on the barred cell but normally will not be able make calls except emergency call, if the Mobile has access class 11-15, it can also make call.

If the cell is barred for access class 0-9 and 11-15, also no emergency call is allowed, then the mobile can't make call.

zeldalcl
2011-10-28, 11:23 AM
Hi!
It a good question to RF Engineer. When cell is actived barring, MS can't acess to cell. Howerver u can do it in MSC by LAC. After do it, u must set barred cell zone to one special LAC.

BRs!

thewatcher
2011-10-28, 05:23 PM
thank you both for the reply.

zeldalcl, if I understand what you suggest is to create a new LAC in the network and make it barred and then assign this LAC to the cells I would like to bar.

is this right?
if so how can this solve the scenario I mentioned

Thanks.

zeldalcl
2011-10-29, 01:36 PM
Hi!
Exactly, or easiest u can re-home some cell to 1 BSC and set policy (one way) for BCS in MSC --it ok

BRs!

ludali
2011-10-29, 04:09 PM
Hi Thewatcher,

By applying cell barring you make the cell unavailable to MS's for call setup.

The barred cell can only pick traffic from neighbouring cells through Handovers.

BR,

Ludali

firstmaxim
2011-10-29, 04:42 PM
Dear Experts,

When configuring Cell Barred=Yes in GSM network, can this cause MS that measure only that cell and no neighbors to be out of service?
can that MS initiate or receive calls?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Each time before a new cell is selected, the MS checks if the MS is allowed to reselect the new cell. Whether the MS is allowed to reselect this cell is transmitted on the BCCH channel towards the MS.
Using this check it is possible for the network operator to
-Block certain cells for cell re- selection. This means that these cells can only be used in case of handovers ( not in the case of call setup)
-Assure that in a layered network fast moving subscribers will reselect upper layer cells, medium fast moving MS re-select middle layer cells and slow moving subscribers reselect lower layer cells. This service assures that if the MS makes or receives a call in the reselected cell, no handover is needed to connect the MS to the network layer where the MS belongs.

dawaj
2011-10-29, 04:52 PM
Answer is NO.
If cell is barred and MS can only access this barred cell only then MS will not camp on this cell and will not be able to make calls.