PDA

View Full Version : Question Mapinfo Lat and long

blert596
2011-10-21, 03:42 AM
Hi, I have a problem with Mapinfo that hopefully someone can help with.

From an Access query I have the lat and long columns that are as below:

Lat Long
123456 234567
234567 891234

etc etc

I'm not used to using the Lat/Long data but cant seem to get Mapinfo to create more than one point for all the data.

I have the data in Excel columns and go through the normal table and points creation as I would for East/Northings with a GB projection, but use Lat/long instead and WS84.

However all I get is a single point. I can see all the data when I use the info

Thanks for any help

thodoris85
2011-10-21, 03:57 AM
If you get just one point, that looks like you have not selected any points at all...so MapInfo creates the first point only.

Select all of them and try again (tick the box on the left of each point on the list)

P.S click on the first point and drag your mouse to the last one (instead of clicking each point separately)

blert596
2011-10-21, 04:11 PM
Hi, thanks for the answer but its still not working.

I thought by selecting the whole table (A2 and below, with the first column as headers) then the table was automatically selected anyway.

What I have noticed this time is that the Long and Lat columns are showing with the 1000 comma seperator in (ie 123,456) which I'm not sure if this would be affecting things.

To get rid of this I presume I have to make a copy of the basic file so I can change it to a non number field. When I have it in Excel I have it as a decimal number, but no 1000 seperator selected. Maybe this is the problem. In Excel should I have the column format set up as general and not number?

Help appreciated

thodoris85
2011-10-21, 05:01 PM
I think that it should be something to do with system locale then. Check that as well, and make sure that your excel is using the same as mapinfo.
LON and LAT cannot be larger than 90 and 180 degrees (cant remember which is which though). Put my two cents that if they are larger than that then they wouldn't be able to be represented on map

Could you also post a small portion of the non-working excel (or the whole thing)?

telwind
2011-10-21, 05:08 PM
the thing you should first check is the coordinate/projection must be same between data recorded and your MI setting (session projection)

cooltyger
2011-10-21, 05:23 PM
Try zooming in maximum into that one point... and then click the i (info) button.
You may get some clarity on which point or points have been projected.

kkckk
2012-03-23, 11:51 PM
Hi mate,

I am facing some issue on create point in mapinfo too, the following image shown my table format and the plotted results. I wonder why the plotting is not smooth continuos plotting but is shown in the image belows:

can anyone advise me on this please?

dacoder
2012-03-24, 12:18 AM
Hi, thanks for the answer but its still not working. I thought by selecting the whole table (A2 and below, with the first column as headers) then the table was automatically selected anyway. What I have noticed this time is that the Long and Lat columns are showing with the 1000 comma seperator in (ie 123,456) which I'm not sure if this would be affecting things. To get rid of this I presume I have to make a copy of the basic file so I can change it to a non number field. When I have it in Excel I have it as a decimal number, but no 1000 seperator selected. Maybe this is the problem. In Excel should I have the column format set up as general and not number? Help appreciated In Excel make sure Lat Longs are in Number format. Especially make sure that there is no warning that says "The number in this cell is formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe".

kkckk
2012-03-24, 12:33 AM
hi friend,

i checked my lat long format are in number format and no warning message seen during create point.

In Excel make sure Lat Longs are in Number format. Especially make sure that there is no warning that says "The number in this cell is formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe".

dacoder
2012-03-24, 01:33 AM
hi friend,

i checked my lat long format are in number format and no warning message seen during create point.
During importing into Mapinfo what type did u choose for Lat, Long fields?