PDA

View Full Version : Tilt angle accuracy in RET antennas

yelljack
2011-10-11, 02:35 AM
Dear Experts,

How accurate are downtilt settings in RET systems (1 degree, 0.5 or less)? Is it possible to set downtilt equal to say 8.1 degrees?

Thanks in advance

mike
2011-10-11, 05:03 AM
It depends on the specifications of the antennas, in theory it is possible, but if your antenna only have steps for example of 1 degree, it only will recognize the nearest value on the scale. if your antenna does not have such specifications as 8.1 downtilt, 8.0,8.1,8.2,8.4 degrees always will be 8.0 degree.

There are RET systems that have negative values for the etilt, but it is usually not used the same as those small values of 0.1 steps degrees, because the antenna does not support such characteristics.:confused:

Mike.

vivero
2011-10-11, 11:34 AM
Tilt antenna angle, it includes electrical tilt and mechanical tilt.
With mechanical tilt: you cannot adjust tilt with small resolution like 8.1, 8.2...
With electrical tilt: I've known that some antenna kinds can apply small resolution, for example: Remote Electrical Tilt Antenna...
It belongs to your tilt antenna characteristics.
Regards!

kevin_h811
2011-10-11, 11:50 AM
Hi,

Yes you can have decimal point for your desired degrees but NOT remotely.It should be done manually on site.

Using Digi Pass, it is a digital inclinometer with up to 1 decimal point, made in Singapore.

Just check it in your internet if there are branches abroad beside I mentioned.

br//

vivero
2011-10-11, 12:08 PM
Hi,

Yes you can have decimal point for your desired degrees but NOT remotely.It should be done manually on site.

Using Digi Pass, it is a digital inclinometer with up to 1 decimal point, made in Singapore.

Just check it in your internet if there are branches abroad beside I mentioned.

br//
Hi Kevin!
I don't think so, because I've read some documents about them.
One of them is RFS - Remote Electrical Tilt Antennas (http://www.rfsworld.com/index.php?p=314&l=1)
According to this description, you can adjust your antenna tilt at the Base Tower, or from Network Manager Center, remotely?
Regards!

kevin_h811
2011-10-11, 12:27 PM
Hi Vivero,

I won't argue with you because reading is different from experience, so what you read and said, I respect it.

regards//

vivero
2011-10-11, 12:32 PM
Hi!
In the article, you can read:
"Introducing the Optimizer RT from industry leader Radio Frequency Systems (RFS). Antenna tilt adjustment from either tower base or network management center is now an operational reality, thanks to RFS’s latest generation remote tilt technology - the Optimizer RT Antenna Control system."
I think it's OK?
Regards!

yelljack
2011-10-12, 01:55 AM
Thanks for your opinions.

So why do ACP tools (Actix Radioplan, Atoll, Optimi etc.) operate only with 1degree accuracy for electrical downtilt. Is it limitation of RET technology, or just because antenna manufacturers provide antenna patterns only for this 1degree resolution (vertical and horizontal patterns for degrees 0,1,...,359). It seems that RET actuators with stepper motors have quite good accuracy, like 0.1degree for this model: ATM200-A20 (http://awapps.commscope.com/catalog/andrew/product_details.aspx?id=17584&tab=1)