View Full Version : Nortel Bsce3 troubleshooting

ranner
2011-03-06, 11:05 PM
Anybody dealing with nortel BSS ?
I would really appreciate advice on Bsce3 OMUs behaviour

Thanx

maahsan
2011-03-07, 03:55 AM
I can try and help you...have 3 years experience with BSCe3.

ranner
2011-03-07, 07:33 AM
Thank you maahsan for your helpfulness

I will try to describe my problem with bsce3 running sw release V18 pc2

I wanted upgrade spared MMS shared disk (with sw release V17 cl1) to current V18 pc2 so followed steps in the procedure for MMS shared disk replacment. Don't know if this is the best way to upgrade MMS but I was told it would be working.. So pulled existing MMS shared disk 9 out and inserted MMS mentioned above with V17 sw and expected to transfer files (bda etc) from MMS 6 to 9. But after while untouched MMS in position 6 went wrong with red alarm (stating bad blocks despite previous MMSscan disk check was ok). Maybe downgrade took place, don't know....

Current state: can't put Bsce3 in right state, tried various mms boards combinations with no result. OMUs are pretending they are both active (green leds are on)
Md interface is ok but neither Build BDA nor sw upgrade works from OMC-R
(stating " mib not built or object must be created")
TML is displaying bsce3 in default view and status of modules is processing error. It is possible to get in both omus through telnet...

I'd like to know if there is any way to get out from this halt state...
some kind of hard reset then customization... don't know...

If you have some idea I would truly aprreciate your help

Found nothing in my nortel documentation on this issue but on this forum there is maybe interesting document about Bsce3/Tcu troubleshooting but unfortunetly can't download it because my poor reputation , I am newcomer...:(

Thanks

maahsan
2011-03-07, 05:02 PM
The procedure you followed is correct but sometimes Nortel BSCs behave in strange ways. I also noticed that LED indications have changed in v18 compared to v16.

Are you using MMS & MMS2 in mixed configuration because it is not possible to go back to MMS from MMS2.

Did you isolate the MMS before extracting it?

I have BSCe3 troubleshooting manual. Let me know if you need it.

ranner
2011-03-08, 07:35 AM
There are the same type MMS, no mix config..
Yes I did isolate before extracting..
Maybe there was something wrong with bsc and I have not done complete prechecks before changing boards ?....

I will try to local upgrade bsce3 back from v17 cl1 to current V18 pc2 through V18 baseline version (not straightforward v17 cl1 to V18 pc2), will see.

I've recieved BSCe3 troubleshooting guide V01.07 / EN
If you have something else or up to date edition I would appreciate...

Cheers

maahsan
2011-03-09, 01:24 AM
Tell me one thing. Is the BSC under discussion carrying traffic.

ranner
2011-03-09, 05:26 AM
sorry, I forgot to mention that this bsce3 is fortunately testbed dedicated for testing and disastrous situations..
Btw today was success with bsc and now is in a good shape..

maahsan
2011-03-09, 05:38 AM
Glad to hear that you managed to get the BSC stable. Welcome to the forum and share you knowledge here and I am sure you will learn from here.

milan_recj
2011-08-05, 06:56 PM
Attaching Nortel BSCe3 software troubleshooting documents.
Pls add reputation if it's of any help.