PDA

View Full Version : UE question

patek1968
2011-02-16, 10:57 AM
Hi, we've been using usb UE datacard for testing HSDPA for stationary and mobile functions..And in doing coverage with the use of the UE datacard..I wanna ask something, one of my workmate told me thats it's better to use external usb cable than plugging directly the datacard to the laptop because he says that you can put the datacard on top of the car using an usb cable to received better signal..anyone knows about this thought? i know that there is loss in usb cable and therefore confuse in this thing..

bindi
2011-02-17, 10:37 PM
One thing is sure, you may even have a "loss of data card" itself:)

I would suggest that instead of this stick to the window. But again it depends on your guidelines, for true customer experience, I would simply stick it directly to laptop.

fon909
2011-02-18, 08:37 PM
In my experience, by sticking the datacard on the top of the car definitely the datarates improve marginally however, I cannot confirm effect of losses introduced by cable..Again, it would be marginal in my opinion as the length of the cable is quite small..

linuxxcso
2011-02-20, 10:03 PM
what UE datacard do you use

hari_2208
2011-02-20, 11:01 PM
few observation from my end too :D

+ well it depends what excatly is your requirement....for simple testing purpose i think its best to get the worest result..ie connecting the USB directly to computer.Actually you inbuilding experience will be much worse minus the mobility part,as there will be indoor attenuation based on bulding materials.

+ now coming to cable....pls note the data which is getting transfered between the USB and computer os let me put this way data after USB owards computer is not WCDMA based.....so no worries of cable loss...as the signal strength of network will come into picture till the USB & not beyond.

arlene14
2011-03-05, 11:32 AM
Actually during pre-dt you should do the standard testing while on post dt you will try to enhance those testing..

dNoB
2011-03-05, 12:16 PM
While it is true that bringing the data card on top of the car may have significant gain in HSPA throughputs, having the data card improved signal reception for stationary tests, in mobile tests keeping it on the same position has a high probability of losing it while the vehicle travels. In cases where the data card has a port for an external antenna, it would be wise to have the data card stick to the laptop and connect an external magnet mount antenna on the vehicle roof connected to the port in the data card for better signal reception/transmission to improve throughputs. If the data card has no option for an external antenna, it is advisable that the datacard/laptop be placed near the window clear from any blocking. Hope this helps.

nieckyz
2011-03-05, 02:00 PM
If u want to take better result by put the data card on top of the vehicle, than i suggest better u use external antenna which is gain 10db (more and less) better since there will be loss because metal roof.

However, I prefer to plug data card directly than using external cable to avoid data card from disconnected since it will be big possibilities of it.

asdf1234
2011-03-07, 04:00 AM
laptops are very noisy and can interfere with UE. Much better to use cable

da_manole
2011-03-07, 04:28 AM
laptops are very noisy and can interfere with UE. Much better to use cable

You should use external antenna for measurements(0 db) .it's the only way to know the level of service.else when you will change the car or position in the car will be other results

dNoB
2011-03-07, 05:48 PM
Furthermore, if you wanted to control the level of signal being received, you may use a high gain magnet mount external antenna (17dB) connected to a variable (adjustable) load (e.g. 0-30 dB) connected to the data card port; this way, you may be able to simulate throughputs at different signal levels...