PDA

View Full Version : E******* acquires Optimi and expands network management capabilities

salrue
2010-12-25, 02:00 AM
E******* acquires Optimi and expands network management capabilities - News - OPTIMI (http://www.optimi.com/news.php?id=60)

Press Releases

E******* acquires Optimi and expands network management capabilities

•Acquisition brings further capability and broadens customer base in multi-vendor network management and optimization business to E*******

•Full ownership of US-Spanish group Optimi acquired, adding 200 highly skilled professionals to E*******'s leading workforce

•Strengthen E******* capabilities in network modernization and 4G introduction, with focus on multi-technology Self-Organizing network

Today E******* (NASDAQ:ERIC) announced the acquisition of Optimi Corporation, a US-Spanish telecommunications vendor providing products and services within the networks optimization and management sector - with a strong focus on operations-support-systems- (OSS-) based optimization services - to leading clients in telecommunications. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.
The acquisition brings in approximately 200 highly skilled professionals and a complete portfolio of services and tools. This is to reinforce and consolidate E*******'s leadership position in multi-technology, multi-vendor, Self-Organizing Networks (SONs) and OSS-based network optimization. Furthermore it improves the company's global capabilities to deliver value-added optimization services.

Today, network performance is on everybody's mind. Operators want to reduce churn, and see network optimization as a way to both increase quality and reduce cost. For a telecom service provider, network optimization presents the challenge to optimize not only 2G, 3G and 4G networks, but also to balance the utilization of these technologies. This opens up an opportunity for E******* to offer products and services providing more efficient planning, rollout and optimization of radio networks.

"The Optimi portfolio complements our existing OSS portfolio, which today is largely deployed among networks managed by E*******," said Magnus Mandersson, Senior Vice President and Head of Business Unit Global Services, E*******. "Network optimization is already a core business for E*******. Today's acquisition is further proof of our commitment to support our customers in the transformation currently taking place within the telecommunications industry. Over the years, we have invested in processes, methods and tools, so it is in our DNA."

Optimi is the global leader, providing mobile carriers with automated design, optimization and management solutions. It has blended innovative technology with practical know-how that enables operators to improve network performance whilst at the same time reducing capex and opex in 2G, 3G and 4G networks. Optimi's Products Suite is highly ranked in terms of results, accuracy and user-friendliness, being widely recognized as a pioneer and front-runner in multi-technology SONs. Leveraging its global footprint, Optimi offers services and products, which are currently used by more than 50 leading operators across five continents.

Based on its competence in radio network performance, Optimi has successfully built a global business combining a leading OSS-based optimization and management solutions portfolio with a highly recognized professional engineering services offering. This is a good complement to E*******'s own portfolio, with more and more demands coming from operators who own multi-technology, multi-vendor networks which need to be optimized and modernized. E******* is ready to help operators to introduce next-generation technology in the interests of improved quality and reduced costs.

danikd
2010-12-25, 06:45 AM
E******* acquires Optimi and expands network management capabilities - News - OPTIMI (http://www.optimi.com/news.php?id=60)

Press Releases

E******* acquires Optimi and expands network management capabilities

•Acquisition brings further capability and broadens customer base in multi-vendor network management and optimization business to E*******

•Full ownership of US-Spanish group Optimi acquired, adding 200 highly skilled professionals to E*******'s leading workforce

•Strengthen E******* capabilities in network modernization and 4G introduction, with focus on multi-technology Self-Organizing network

Today E******* (NASDAQ:ERIC) announced the acquisition of Optimi Corporation, a US-Spanish telecommunications vendor providing products and services within the networks optimization and management sector - with a strong focus on operations-support-systems- (OSS-) based optimization services - to leading clients in telecommunications. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.
The acquisition brings in approximately 200 highly skilled professionals and a complete portfolio of services and tools. This is to reinforce and consolidate E*******'s leadership position in multi-technology, multi-vendor, Self-Organizing Networks (SONs) and OSS-based network optimization. Furthermore it improves the company's global capabilities to deliver value-added optimization services.

Today, network performance is on everybody's mind. Operators want to reduce churn, and see network optimization as a way to both increase quality and reduce cost. For a telecom service provider, network optimization presents the challenge to optimize not only 2G, 3G and 4G networks, but also to balance the utilization of these technologies. This opens up an opportunity for E******* to offer products and services providing more efficient planning, rollout and optimization of radio networks.

"The Optimi portfolio complements our existing OSS portfolio, which today is largely deployed among networks managed by E*******," said Magnus Mandersson, Senior Vice President and Head of Business Unit Global Services, E*******. "Network optimization is already a core business for E*******. Today's acquisition is further proof of our commitment to support our customers in the transformation currently taking place within the telecommunications industry. Over the years, we have invested in processes, methods and tools, so it is in our DNA."

Optimi is the global leader, providing mobile carriers with automated design, optimization and management solutions. It has blended innovative technology with practical know-how that enables operators to improve network performance whilst at the same time reducing capex and opex in 2G, 3G and 4G networks. Optimi's Products Suite is highly ranked in terms of results, accuracy and user-friendliness, being widely recognized as a pioneer and front-runner in multi-technology SONs. Leveraging its global footprint, Optimi offers services and products, which are currently used by more than 50 leading operators across five continents.

Based on its competence in radio network performance, Optimi has successfully built a global business combining a leading OSS-based optimization and management solutions portfolio with a highly recognized professional engineering services offering. This is a good complement to E*******'s own portfolio, with more and more demands coming from operators who own multi-technology, multi-vendor networks which need to be optimized and modernized. E******* is ready to help operators to introduce next-generation technology in the interests of improved quality and reduced costs.

It is interesting....why E******* bought Optimi? E******* never bought company with intention to integrate this company into E*******'s offering....200 engineers? this what E******* bought? Optimi Wizard? Old planning platform from Agilent? Three years ago E******* spill out Planet (the state of the art planning tool) and developed its own TEMS.
Exiting frequency planning capabilities??? Automatic cell planner, which never works....

For last few years Optimi was pretty active on american market US and SA...many trial and many small projects....with around 10-15M USD revenues...I do not think that this is very attractive piece of business for E*******...

I think that E******* bought them in order to eliminate competitor in service market...small companies with some making noise tools (like Optimi, Actix, Schema and few others) interfering big monsters like E******* to take Managed Service contracts....

Why Optimi and not Actix or Schema?

Optimi is small private company (no big money invested) the payment only to owners (few guys)....while Actix and Schema belong to venture capital (VC) Actix ~70M and Schema ~40M... too expensive just to erase competitor...
I do not think that someone will buy Optimi due to a huge and valuable know-how.

Any other thoughts?

apo7
2010-12-25, 05:12 PM
It is interesting....why E******* bought Optimi? E******* never bought company with intention to integrate this company into E*******'s offering....200 engineers? this what E******* bought? Optimi Wizard? Old planning platform from Agilent? Three years ago E******* spill out Planet (the state of the art planning tool) and developed its own TEMS.
Exiting frequency planning capabilities??? Automatic cell planner, which never works....

For last few years Optimi was pretty active on american market US and SA...many trial and many small projects....with around 10-15M USD revenues...I do not think that this is very attractive piece of business for E*******...

I think that E******* bought them in order to eliminate competitor in service market...small companies with some making noise tools (like Optimi, Actix, Schema and few others) interfering big monsters like E******* to take Managed Service contracts....

Optimi is small private company (no big money invested) the payment only to owners (few guys)....while Actix and Schema belong to venture capital (VC) Actix ~70M and Schema ~40M... too expensive just to erase competitor...
I do not think that someone will buy Optimi due to a huge and valuable know-how.

Any other thoughts?

I agree with you. There's no reason for E/// to buy Optimi since they themselves sold TEMS to Ascom last year.

Regards.

danikd
2010-12-25, 10:56 PM
I agree with you. There's no reason for E/// to buy Optimi since they themselves sold TEMS to Ascom last year.

Regards.

Exactly...It seems one competitor in optimization tools field less....

Darko
2010-12-26, 01:37 AM

Any other thoughts?

You are 100% correct. This is my thinking also... They sold TEMS and now they are buying Optimi :rolleyes: ... After internal reorganization on global scale it seems they are taking more aggressive approach now.

adedia
2010-12-28, 05:06 AM

Any other thoughts?

This is somehow puzzled me as well. But remember those around 230 engineer, are managing almost a worldwide project. Not to mention that Optimi traditionally has loyal customer like Telefonica (One exceptional story i heard is one about E// can't enter Telefonica in Mexico due to their heavy preference toward Optimi - Anybody there who can confirm this??). Or one of the croatian operator, who happen to buy all the Optimi solution.

I'm not entirely disagree that Optimi tools are never works, you just not met the right guy yet. If you happen to met quite senior delivery consultant in Optimi things works like charm... particularly with AFP, and Parameter.

"I think that E******* bought them in order to eliminate competitor in service market" - Not only this but to also acquire their loyal customer. Well maybe not much but still it's valuable considering Huawei almost taken anything outside US and Japan

Why Optimi and not Actix or Schema? ==> Simply because the other two are not put up on Sale

I do not think that someone will buy Optimi due to a huge and valuable know-how.==> Again not entirely agree, to some degree, some of the optimi state the art solution are a perfect match to e******* optimisation solution. Which happen a halfway solution (E// OSS RNO, or TEMS Visualization) and or can add up fresh idea on SON field.

Anymore idea??

danikd
2010-12-28, 07:20 AM
This is somehow puzzled me as well. But remember those around 230 engineer, are managing almost a worldwide project. Not to mention that Optimi traditionally has loyal customer like Telefonica (One exceptional story i heard is one about E// can't enter Telefonica in Mexico due to their heavy preference toward Optimi - Anybody there who can confirm this??). Or one of the croatian operator, who happen to buy all the Optimi solution.

I'm not entirely disagree that Optimi tools are never works, you just not met the right guy yet. If you happen to met quite senior delivery consultant in Optimi things works like charm... particularly with AFP, and Parameter.

"I think that E******* bought them in order to eliminate competitor in service market" - Not only this but to also acquire their loyal customer. Well maybe not much but still it's valuable considering Huawei almost taken anything outside US and Japan

Why Optimi and not Actix or Schema? ==> Simply because the other two are not put up on Sale

I do not think that someone will buy Optimi due to a huge and valuable know-how.==> Again not entirely agree, to some degree, some of the optimi state the art solution are a perfect match to e******* optimisation solution. Which happen a halfway solution (E// OSS RNO, or TEMS Visualization) and or can add up fresh idea on SON field.

Anymore idea??

This is exactly what I said..... Optimi interfering E*******....to penetrate some customers with their Managed Service concept.

As for valuable engineers (230)....from my experience really valuable engineers in companies with this size is about 10-15....the rest are just place holders some contractors for local projects (E******* hires hundreds engineers like this for their deployment projects). Why I'm so sure? just small calculation to maintain 230 experts for american company means 100K yearly per engineer in other words USD 23 Millions revenues yearly just to be break even!!!! Common!!!! Optimi is a 10-15M company what does it mean - that ~150 engineers is a low level contractors from cheap countries like South America and Far East. Nothing personal but from my experience E******* staff has better professional reputation.

As for valuable know how....the FREQUENCY PLANNER!!!! common E******* teach me in year 1998 how to utilize BAR data for frequency planning...
For last 13 years E******* developed, kill and spill out at least 10 different SW tools that may fit E******* offering.

Just to be honest - can give me a single example of E******* acquisition that was integrated into there product offering?

bdplanner
2011-01-21, 02:17 AM
Optimi has been an excellent tool for Orascom (all subs).Optimi AFP It has been implemented in bangladesh (Capital dhaka) with amazing performence( call drop reduced 15%, downlink qual 25%, HOSR and BH Traffic increased). I think E/// bought because they know how good it is and they will extract all the development and will throw it away after . They did it with Planet as far as I can remember.