PDA

View Full Version : Question PCH Congestion

Kouka
2010-12-16, 02:29 AM
Dear Friends,

Any one can explain the PCH congestion? How can we reduce it? Is there a parameter setting that can reduce the congestion?

In my case, I found a high value of VS.RRC.Paging1.Loss.PCHCong.Cell (120.000 per one RNC with 150 NodeBs and 3 LAC/RAC).

In my case I have LAC (2G) = LAC (3G), but RAC (2G) is different from RAC (3G) in the same LAC.

Regards

sala70vic
2010-12-16, 10:36 PM
Hi,

LAC redisign is needed to reduce the pagin load, thanks.
regards,

mon3em
2010-12-16, 11:34 PM
Recommend to separate LAC-2G from LAC-3G

mon3em

kashan
2011-03-31, 04:32 AM
Measure the PCH Utilization and split the LACs. Do you happen to know what is current configuraiton on PCH is it 8K or 24Kbps

Walid Madih
2011-03-31, 05:09 AM
Hi all,

We can divise the Paging loss into 2 types:
- Loss from CN in the LA ( no cell level counter)
- Loss in PCH(Paging channel ) it a cell level counter.

TO reduce the paging loss in a LAC we can reduce this area.
For PCG congestion we can have it in a cell level so we can try to reduce this congestion in one cell no need to reduce the LA.
We can reduce this on downtilt or reducing the CPICH power for the cell in can if this cell is overshooting ( based on propagation delay)

Regards,
Walid

agenov
2011-03-31, 02:19 PM
Hi all,

We can divise the Paging loss into 2 types:
- Loss from CN in the LA ( no cell level counter)
- Loss in PCH(Paging channel ) it a cell level counter.

TO reduce the paging loss in a LAC we can reduce this area.
For PCG congestion we can have it in a cell level so we can try to reduce this congestion in one cell no need to reduce the LA.
We can reduce this on downtilt or reducing the CPICH power for the cell in can if this cell is overshooting ( based on propagation delay)

Regards,
Walid

Hi,

Could you please be more specific about your 2nd statement regarding to cell level congestion and reducing cell's serving area thus reducing paging congestion? I have doubts about this statement. Since the paging is coming from the CN how reducing CPICH power or downtilting can reduce reported paging congestion at cell level belonging to particular LA?
Seems to me like not possible :)
The only way to cope with the problem is by splitting the LA but the question here is what threshold should be exceeded in the paging load so to consider one location area to be splitted. Anyone have an idea or documents for Huawei 3G? Usualy that utilization is provided by different vendors but Huawei...:)

Cheers,

Alex

Walid Madih
2011-03-31, 04:02 PM
Hi,

Could you please be more specific about your 2nd statement regarding to cell level congestion and reducing cell's serving area thus reducing paging congestion? I have doubts about this statement. Since the paging is coming from the CN how reducing CPICH power or downtilting can reduce reported paging congestion at cell level belonging to particular LA?
Seems to me like not possible :)
The only way to cope with the problem is by splitting the LA but the question here is what threshold should be exceeded in the paging load so to consider one location area to be splitted. Anyone have an idea or documents for Huawei 3G? Usualy that utilization is provided by different vendors but Huawei...:)

Cheers,

Alex

It's simple PCH congestion means congestion in PCH channel (paging channel ) is related to one cell.
So if you reduce the coverage of a cell they will be less user in this cell and then the cell will not page many UEs so the congestion will reduce.

Regards,
Walid

agenov
2011-04-01, 01:52 PM
It's simple PCH congestion means congestion in PCH channel (paging channel ) is related to one cell.
So if you reduce the coverage of a cell they will be less user in this cell and then the cell will not page many UEs so the congestion will reduce.

Regards,
Walid

Hi Walid,

unfrotunately is not so simple. BY reducing coverage of the particular cell it doesnt mean you will reduce its paging congestion unless this cell overshoots and cover the area from the neighbouring LA or let say there are some incorrect settings defined in idle mode and the cell is on LA border.

BR
Alex