PDA

View Full Version : 2G to 3G Handover

telecom.santosh
2010-11-21, 04:18 PM
Please provide some notes or details on 2G to 3G Handover.

s52d
2010-11-21, 08:20 PM
Please provide some notes or details on 2G to 3G Handover.

Hi!

I guess by handover you mean CS services, not cell reselection following idle mode parameters.

Most networks does not use 2g/3g handovers.
Their logic is simple: if 3g is good, you would move in idle. If it is not good, stay on GSM,
it is good for services you use.

We use 2g to 3g handovers, to unload "almost busy" GSM cells, and there is allways some
free capacity for voice on UTRAN.
If you do so:
- there is high correlation between 2g/3g and 3g/2g handovers, check stats.
- you need high hysteresis
- set 2g parmeters properly: use EcNo and RSCP criteria; EcNo itself is not enough
- make handovers only to excellent radio on 3g, otherwise you might get drops there
- avoid ping-pong by high hystersys. Observe MSCS stats or traces to see 2g/3g/2g handovers.
- avoid 2g to 3g handovers too far from UTRAN cell
- you might have some problems if triplets/quintets do not match properly.
- if you do not use common LA between 2g/3g you generate more LAU after call is finished

So, summary: works, but needs some attention.

BR
s52d

telecom.santosh
2010-11-22, 02:18 AM
Thanks man........:)

telwind
2010-11-22, 09:16 AM
Hi!

I guess by handover you mean CS services, not cell reselection following idle mode parameters.

Their logic is simple: if 3g is good, you would move in idle. If it is not good, stay on GSM,

We use 2g to 3g handovers, to unload "almost busy" GSM cells, and there is allways some
If you do so:
- set 2g parmeters properly: use EcNo and RSCP criteria; EcNo itself is not enough
- make handovers only to excellent radio on 3g, otherwise you might get drops there
- avoid ping-pong by high hystersys. Observe MSCS stats or traces to see 2g/3g/2g handovers.
- if you do not use common LA between 2g/3g you generate more LAU after call is finished

BR
s52d

Very good sharing, what bout the drive test analysis for 2g/3g handover on CS service, someone else could share experience, doc or something help?

pratimei
2011-01-08, 01:05 AM
plz send me ur mail id

kentck86
2011-08-19, 09:20 PM
Very good sharing, what bout the drive test analysis for 2g/3g handover on CS service, someone else could share experience, doc or something help?

I am looking forward for 2G-3G handover drive test analysis on CS service too. please someone share the experience on this.

ntbfpt
2011-08-26, 01:57 AM
Their logic is simple: if 3g is good, you would move in idle. If it is not good, stay on GSM,it is good for services you use.

s52d
I think that for a long call, the user move from the area that 3g is not good(the call would be HO to GSM and always stay on GSM) to the area that 3G is good, why we don't accept this call for re-HO to 3G for the better quality???

telwind
2011-08-26, 09:23 AM
our strategy is some different:

we allow only 3g to 2g handover as 3G coverage is smaller and within 2G network. This is good for user who may move out of 3g coverage.

Hi!

If you do so:

BR
s52d