PDA

View Full Version : Question on Power consumption of a normal cell tower ....Need all expert advice !!

freecell
2010-09-02, 11:52 PM
Hi Team,

I would really appreciate if my questions are been answered .....:D

1) How much power (in watts) does an average cell tower use during Normal and High traffic hours of call and data services (considering normal Antenna config "2 or 3 per sector", Technology "UMTS or GSM or CDMA") ?

2) How power (in watts) does a GSM cabinet (Ex: Nortel) and a WCDMA Node B (Ex: E******* or Nokia) use in normal operation and peak ? (considering with the config in Question 1)

3) What kind of Batteries are installed in an average site ?

4) How much power (per battery, in watts) does these batteries supply the whole site in case of a Power outage and for how long (15 to 30 mins) ?

5) How long can each batteries work until they are out of power ?

6) What is the average count of Batteries per cabinet ?

7) If a Diesel generator is used then what kind is used ? and what is the output power (in watts) per gallon ?

7) Is there a detailed link budget sheet for the whole system that you can supply showing the power consumed during Tx and Rx ? That's starting from Cabinet to lines to MHA(if any) to Antenna...(all in watts or dBm)

Sounds crazy but I need to know a detailed power consumption report of a regular site during normal traffic hours and peak traffic hours (during normal power and during a power outage..i.e, working on battery or generator). Hope some one helps me out with my research..any documentation answering most of my questions is highly appreciated....:L

Thanks

Stantheman
2010-09-03, 07:41 AM
Freecell, I'll let the Cellular people help you with the power consumption etc but this book may help with some of your design work

DC Power System Design for Telecommunications

hxxp://www.avaxhome.ws/ebooks/engeneering_technology/communication/dc_power_design_telecommunications.html

this link still up hxxp://depositfiles.com/en/files/kxfsd05iy

previously posted here http://www.finetopix.com/showthread.php?t=1989

Cheers, Stan.

Stantheman
2010-09-03, 07:45 AM
AC Power Systems Handbook, Third Edition

has info on UPS and gen sets

hxxp://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/engeneering_technology/acpowersystems11.html

two of the links are still up

Stantheman
2010-09-03, 07:48 AM
Emergency and Backup Power Sources Preparing for Blackouts and Brownouts

hxxp://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/Emergenc.html

link still up

Stantheman
2010-09-03, 08:42 AM
Uninterruptible Power Supplies (repost)

http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/engeneering_technology/0071395954PowerSupplies.html

links still up

Stantheman
2010-09-03, 08:45 AM
Maintaining Mission Critical Systems in a 24/7 Environment (Repost)

hxxp://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/engeneering_technology/maintainging.html

link still up

freecell
2010-09-03, 11:24 PM
Dear Stantheman (http://www.finetopix.com/member.php?u=4482),

Thanks a lot for posting these links...I really appreciate it !!!

Thanks
Freecell

adnansid
2010-09-07, 02:13 PM
Hi Team,

I would really appreciate if my questions are been answered .....:D

1) How much power (in watts) does an average cell tower use during Normal and High traffic hours of call and data services (considering normal Antenna config "2 or 3 per sector", Technology "UMTS or GSM or CDMA") ?
Max Loading: 20 Watts per sector.
No Load Condition:, my guess is 10 % still transmitting for signalling channels so it would be 2 watts/sector
2) How power (in watts) does a GSM cabinet (Ex: Nortel) and a WCDMA Node B (Ex: E******* or Nokia) use in normal operation and peak ? (considering with the config in Question 1) Honestly dont know but Rough guess is should not be very different than wat is stated above.
3) What kind of Batteries are installed in an average site ?
Dry cells are common now.

4) How much power (per battery, in watts) does these batteries supply the whole site in case of a Power outage and for how long (15 to 30 mins) ?
I have seen batteries providing power for upto 18-24 hours backup time but 3-4 hours are very common.
5) How long can each batteries work until they are out of power ?
18-24 hours backup time but 3-4 hours are very common. I would like to clarify here that batteries are usually cells connected in series so its the whole bank of cells which provides backup not just each cell providing power independently
6) What is the average count of Batteries per cabinet ?
Telecom equipent works with -48v. Dry Cells are each of 2 volts. So 24 cells are joined in series to provide -48 volts but any combination can be use. For eg: 4 batteries of 12volts each to produce 48

7) If a Diesel generator is used then what kind is used ? and what is the output power (in watts) per gallon ?
I have seen diesel generators of 125 KVA which can provide power to dual cabinet systems along with 2 ACs of 1800 BTU each. But these days the equipment is getting much smaller in size and outdoor cabinets does not require A/Cs so generators can be very small too.

7) Is there a detailed link budget sheet for the whole system that you can supply showing the power consumed during Tx and Rx ? That's starting from Cabinet to lines to MHA(if any) to Antenna...(all in watts or dBm)
Link budget for power calcuations? You should consult the power requirements of the equipment(from the manual) in order to determine the power requirements of a site. Link budget has nothing to do with A/C power plannig.
Sounds crazy but I need to know a detailed power consumption report of a regular site during normal traffic hours and peak traffic hours (during normal power and during a power outage..i.e, working on battery or generator). Hope some one helps me out with my research..any documentation answering most of my questions is highly appreciated....:L

Thanks

My responses in Bold. Hope it is usefull.

freecell
2010-09-07, 11:10 PM
Dear adnansid, (http://www.finetopix.com/member.php?u=21568)

Thanks a lot for your answers and advice...I really appreciate it !!

Freecell